Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting Fact: the Mach-E's thermal management systems comes from TI Fluid Systems that worked with Ford for nearly a century!...

TI Fluid Systems will supply air conditioning refrigerant lines and battery chiller lines for battery thermal management.
"TI Fluid Systems, a leading global supplier of automotive fluid systems technology, announced recently that it will provide thermal management systems to the new Mustang Mach-E, Ford’s all-new all-electric SUV.
“Building on TI Fluid Systems’ more than 40 years of experience in the Automotive Thermal space, we were able to work with Ford’s Engineering teams on technical support, best practice design and production integration, as well as onsite design support,” said Stefan Rau, executive VP, Fluid Carrying Systems. “We are excited to work with Ford as they enter the market with the all-electric Mustang Mach-E and look forward to continuing to support Ford in their future needs.”
TI Fluid Systems has a long history of supplying to Ford, beginning with providing the fuel lines on the first Model T in 1922. Since then, TI has partnered on hundreds of vehicles with Ford.
“It’s really great that TI can continue to build on its 98-year relationship with Ford in supplying fluid handling products and systems for tomorrow’s electrified vehicles,” said Bill Kozyra, president and CEO, TI Fluid Systems."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting Fact: the Mach-E's thermal management systems comes from TI Fluid Systems that worked with Ford for nearly a century!...

TI Fluid Systems will supply air conditioning refrigerant lines and battery chiller lines for battery thermal management.
"TI Fluid Systems, a leading global supplier of automotive fluid systems technology, announced recently that it will provide thermal management systems to the new Mustang Mach-E, Ford’s all-new all-electric SUV.
“It’s really great that TI can continue to build on its 98-year relationship with Ford in supplying fluid handling products and systems for tomorrow’s electrified vehicles,” said Bill Kozyra, president and CEO, TI Fluid Systems."
I'm wondering if that will include a heat pump on the MME instead of conventional AC and resistive heaters. A heat pump can supply either heat or cooling in all but the real cold temperatures where supplementary resistive heating is required. I see that the Tesla Model Y has now gone to a heat pump whereas the Model 3 did not have one. I have read that the MME uses oil to cool the motors (on Jalopnik, I think), so I would hope they recover and use that heat some way to either keep the battery at optimum temperature or use in heating the cabin. Tesla Model Y owners manual gives very little information on how their heating and cooling system works. They do use a G-48 ethylene glycol based coolant that is supposed to last the life of the vehicle. I'm very interested to see how Ford handles this whole complex heating/cooling system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
About the heat pump. According to information supplied by Volvo the heatpump for the XC40 Recarchere cost about € 700 extra and delivers max 30 kms extra range. The optimum operating temperature is between 5 and 15 degrees Celsius. (41 to 59 F)

this means to me that the real live advantage is certainly lower than 30 km. (19 miles)

in my opinion the heat pump does not come up to the hyped expectations. when you go on a long trip it is best to pre heat the car when still connected to a wall box.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Ford engineers said in interviews that the small gain in range is hard to justify the additional cost and weight.
They also said it adds a complexity to the design that makes it harder and more costly to service.
I have to defer to the engineers on these claims. They seem reasonable enough.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ford engineers said in interviews that the small gain in range is hard to justify the additional cost and weight.
They also said it adds a complexity to the design that makes it harder and more costly to service.
Yes, I now found the same info. They probably decided more battery capacity was a better 'bang for the buck'. For me in USA - Minnesota, the heat pump would not be efficient for much of the long winter season.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it means Ford can squeeze out 1 more mile of range to technically claim some "Best of ..." recognition to promote the Mach-E, then we can expect this and possibly other moves. Its a challenging market and that 1 or 2 miles of range means a lot to them. Little to us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts