Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We drove home from my doctor appointment yesterday during a deluge of rain. We drove home on the expressway going about 40-50 MPH with heavy rain and poor visibility. I could hear the water flushing the rear wheel when we were driving through the storm but I didn't notice any sounds or vibration going the rest of the way home.

Today, when backing the car out I can feel some pulsations and then in forward the pulsations increase in intensity and there is a "thumping" in the passenger side rear wheel (like there is a flat tire with some of the rubber hitting the pavement as the tire rotates only the tire is fine). The thumping increases in speed as the car accelerates. I took the car back to my garage immediately and called my dealer. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning.

My first thought is that this is a brake problem on that wheel from being drenched with water. Any other ideas of what might be causing this? A loose piece of brake pad material stuck to rotor? Problem with the rear motor? I'm pretty upset as this is the first major thing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This has been discussed in other posts.

Same thing happened to me. Drove through a large puddle on the way home. Parked in the garage. The next morning, when I put the car into reverse, it did not move. When it finally let go with a large thunk, I had that same thumping noise from both rear wheels. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. One drive around the lot and they said they knew what it was. There was a specific brand of brake pads that would stick to the rotors when wet. The thumping is caused when a piece of the pad breaks off on the rotor. They changed the pads on all four wheels and cleaned the rotors on the two rear wheels. All has been fine since then. My only problem was that it took them several days to get the new pads in. But I had a free loaner, so it was not horrible.

It sounds much worse than it really is.

Jim

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been discussed in other posts.

Same thing happened to me. Drove through a large puddle on the way home. Parked in the garage. The next morning, when I put the car into reverse, it did not move. When it finally let go with a large thunk, I had that same thumping noise from both rear wheels. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. One drive around the lot and they said they knew what it was. There was a specific brand of brake pads that would stick to the rotors when wet. The thumping is caused when a piece of the pad breaks off on the rotor. They changed the pads on all four wheels and cleaned the rotors on the two rear wheels. All has been fine since then. My only problem was that it took them several days to get the new pads in. But I had a free loaner, so it was not horrible.

It sounds much worse than it really is.

Jim
Thanks for relating that. I saw that they have a TSB on this issue so perhaps it is what my problem is as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for relating that. I saw that they have a TSB on this issue so perhaps it is what my problem is as well.
Took the car in this morning and they called me about 2 hours later to say it needed new brake pads and rotors on the rear two wheels and that they are on national back order. They have no idea of when they'll come in. He said it was OK to drive the car. The mechanic must have done something because the thumping went away (at least I thought it did). This afternoon I was driving through another tremendous downpour and the car started acting up again. Not a good feeling if one can't drive the car when it's raining outside (or possibly snowing too). I probably should insist on them changing all the brake pads.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If I had to guess, they scraped off the part of the pad that was stuck on the rotors, since they are planning on changing them anyway....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I had to guess, they scraped off the part of the pad that was stuck on the rotors, since they are planning on changing them anyway....
I agree. Now I have to see if I can drive it since the rainstorm yesterday.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. Now I have to see if I can drive it since the rainstorm yesterday.
The same thing is happening with the front brakes so I returned to my dealer and they are going to order the front pads/rotors as well as the rear pads/rotors (besides there is a TSB out on front brakes). I'm driving the car because they told me it was safe to do so and I would not damage it. I just have to put up with the noise from the wheels. It does seem to get better when the brakes dry out. I hope the new brake pads are heartier than the old ones as far as moisture affecting them. The brakes get really grabby when they're wet so maybe they will be better in that regard as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts