Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! I just joined this board. We live in Massachusetts and are considering ordering 2023 MME, RWD, with extended battery. Ford website is quoting $64,965 with options and destination and delivery charges, delivery in 18-24 weeks. Before I go ahead with the next step, I am looking for advice from this forum on the following:

1. If delivery isn't for another 18-24 weeks, we're talking delivery in 2023. Does delivery have to be in 2022 to qualify for federal tax credit? If delivery must be in 2023 I won't be eligible for fed tax credit. [EDITED: Nevermind, seems obvious, possession must be taken in 2022.]

2. The next step in the online ordering process is to select a dealer. Any advice on how to select? And will most dealers honor Ford's price quote, or can I expect them to mark it up or add add-ons at delivery that I have not agreed to up front? And if they do, what tips do you have for how to claw back to the pre-delivery price?

3. My understanding (from this board and my research) is that if I try to find one in inventory (good luck!), the dealers almost certainly can and will mark up a huge amount. whereas if I order thru Ford, my chances of purchasing closer to MSRP is much better. True?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Cars at MSRP are out there but rare and best chance getting at MSRP is a select model.
Ideally you have a local dealer who has been selling mach es now. You'll order online and pay your deposit online and the selected dealer than confirms the order. Most important tip. Speak to a human being at the dealer with some authority like the sales manager or GM. GET IN WRITING THAT THEY WILL HONOR MSRP and any other details, like xplan etc. Far too many people who've ordered have waited and get a nasty surprise when their vehicle arrives the dealer tacks on adm.Xplan, ask at the time of talking to the dealer if they accept xplan, this will knock around $700 off the price PLUS the added benefit of capped doc fees at $100. If they do accept, go ahead and join mustang club of america, you can generate a PIN immediately after you joing which is good for one year. THe membership fee is aroiund $40..You have to be a member for 90 days BEFORE your car arrives.

I can't help on the tax credit, I got my car back in mid 21 when the tax credit was pretty straightforward, now it's apparently undergoing changes.

·
Registered
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
196 Posts
1) There is a new tax credit. How much the Mach-E will qualify for, if any (income dependent also), is still to be determined. Perhaps 1/2 at this point.
2) Contact dealers and ask if they will let you order for MSRP and put it in writing. If they won't, you can't clawback anything.
3) There are many dealers that will sell for MSRP, you just have to do the legwork. If you want a good used one, and live near Illinois, I know a dealer with 8 used ones, including mine - 2021 Premium AWD ER with 9,450 miles on it. Rapid Red - $63,498. Also has 7 others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cars at MSRP are out there but rare and best chance getting at MSRP is a select model.
Ideally you have a local dealer who has been selling mach es now. You'll order online and pay your deposit online and the selected dealer than confirms the order. Most important tip. Speak to a human being at the dealer with some authority like the sales manager or GM. GET IN WRITING THAT THEY WILL HONOR MSRP and any other details, like xplan etc. Far too many people who've ordered have waited and get a nasty surprise when their vehicle arrives the dealer tacks on adm.Xplan, ask at the time of talking to the dealer if they accept xplan, this will knock around $700 off the price PLUS the added benefit of capped doc fees at $100. If they do accept, go ahead and join mustang club of america, you can generate a PIN immediately after you joing which is good for one year. THe membership fee is aroiund $40..You have to be a member for 90 days BEFORE your car arrives.

I can't help on the tax credit, I got my car back in mid 21 when the tax credit was pretty straightforward, now it's apparently undergoing changes.
Hello! I just joined this board. We live in Massachusetts and are considering ordering 2023 MME, RWD, with extended battery. Ford website is quoting $64,965 with options and destination and delivery charges, delivery in 18-24 weeks. Before I go ahead with the next step, I am looking for advice from this forum on the following:

1. If delivery isn't for another 18-24 weeks, we're talking delivery in 2023. Does delivery have to be in 2022 to qualify for federal tax credit? If delivery is in 2023 I won't be eligible for fed tax credit due to income restrictions.

2. The next step in the online ordering process is to select a dealer. Any advice on how to select? And will most dealers honor Ford's price quote, or can I expect them to mark it up or add add-ons at delivery that I have not agreed to up front? And if they do, what tips do you have for how to claw back to the pre-delivery price?
  3. My understanding (from this board and my research) is that if I try to find one in inventory (good luck!), the dealers almost certainly can and will mark up a huge amount. whereas if I order thru Ford, my chances of purchasing closer to MSRP is much better. True?

Thanks in advance!
Never mind, seems obvious I have to
1) There is a new tax credit. How much the Mach-E will qualify for, if any (income dependent also), is still to be determined. Perhaps 1/2 at this point.
2) Contact dealers and ask if they will let you order for MSRP and put it in writing. If they won't, you can't clawback anything.
3) There are many dealers that will sell for MSRP, you just have to do the legwork. If you want a good used one, and live near Illinois, I know a dealer with 8 used ones, including mine - 2021 Premium AWD ER with 9,450 miles on it. Rapid Red - $63,498. Also has 7 others.
Thanks RickMachE (and zvez)
Got it; I need to get it in writing from the dealer. It's not exactly a new tax credit. My understanding is under the "inflation reduction act" the MME is eligible for the same $7500 tax credit in 2022 for EV's purchased prior to 8/16/22, just with the stipulation that those purchased after 8/16 are made/assembled North America (which the MME is). But you have to take possession prior to 1/1/2023; looks like that's not possible if I place an order with Ford v. find some inventory. I'll look but I can't imagine finding inventory without ridiculous markup which I refuse to pay (on top of already increased MSRP).

·
Registered
196 Posts

Got it; I need to get it in writing from the dealer. It's not exactly a new tax credit. My understanding is under the "inflation reduction act" the MME is eligible for the same $7500 tax credit in 2022 for EV's purchased prior to 8/16/22, just with the stipulation that those purchased after 8/16 are made/assembled North America (which the MME is). But you have to take possession prior to 1/1/2023; looks like that's not possible if I place an order with Ford v. find some inventory. I'll look but I can't imagine finding inventory without ridiculous markup which I refuse to pay (on top of already increased MSRP).
You are correct on the 2022 purchase info. If you buy in 2023, then it's subject to the new law, and the unresolved tax issues.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts

Here is the problem in a nutshell:

Starting on 1/1/2023 there are two limitations:

• Income: AGI for single $150K: $300K for married couple
  • Sedans $55K cap: Trucks, vans and SUV's $80,000
The requirement that cars be assembled in North America went into effect 8/16/2022 and continues.

Starting in 1/1/2023 the number of cars manufactured is dropped so Teslas that meet the price caps will once again qualify.

Starting in 2024 there are requirements for the manufacture of the actual batteries to also be in North America.

Income cap is pretty clear: that is AGI.

The one thing that is not clear is what the IRS will determine to be an "SUV" so that the cap is $80,000 instead of $55,000.

For example would a $78,000 Tesla Model Y qualify (as an SUV) but a $56,000 Tesla Model 3 (a sedan) would not?

If IRS determines that the MachE is a sedan and not an SUV, then because of the $55K cap very few will qualify. If on the other hand if IRS determines that the MachE is a SUV, almost all will.

I agree with all of the above posters: before designating a dealer get in WRITING that they will honor MSRP, no dealer add on's and also XPlan.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Where did all this paranoia about cars the manufacturers sell as SUV somehow not being SUVs for the tax credit?
From common sense!

If you look at the Ford website you will see the MachE is listed under SUV's, and Crossovers.

If you look at the IRS regulations, the $80,000 cap is for Trucks, Vans and SUV's: I think it very reasonable for IRS to interpret that to mean for the the $80,000 cap to apply the SUV must be based on a truck frame.

Remember the IRA was to encourage:

• Production of EV in North America
  • Production of batteries in North America
  • Give an incentive to manufacturers to produce an affordable EV by giving tax credits.
The IRA was not designed to subsidies expensive EV's masquerading as SUV.

But in reality, the income cap of $150K/$300K may doom the credit for more people than an EV sedan costing more than $55,000.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Where did all this paranoia about cars the manufacturers sell as SUV somehow not being SUVs for the tax credit?
The internets. Everything has to be questioned. Lots of "but my state says".. I use the "ignore" function a lot on car forums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts