Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I did my reservation and got to sit and play around with the Mach E Premium Infinite Blue today...

Since I have seen others already tell the pro's with pictures, I'll start with a CONS list (super nitpicky btw and also pre-production model so these may get fixed)

Cons:

So after my 30 minute tour of the Infinite Blue and Black premium model...

1. The frunk...does not have an auto close - I failed to shut it completely the first time. The employee had to show me that you really have to slam this thing shut. Obviously something I can get use too, but considering everything else is soft close or seamless. This just seemed out of place. Again this is not something that would get me to not get this vehicle, just was an oddity that seemed out of place. Also, Idk but I expected it to be bigger.

2. The massive screen. I wasn't able to find a dark mode but this thing is bright to a distracting level or at least was for me. If I could have found the brightness setting or a dark mode, this would not be an issue(I was scrolling pretty fast messing around so it should be there). But on default on a cloudy day, super bright and needs adjustments. *I would imagine being a tablet it should have a dimming feature or dark mode, so just an observation.

3. Seat Belt connectors...They stand out. That's it, this car looks amazing inside. The interior with his different textures and premium feel, they look out of place. Sadly, I'd prefer to see them flush with a better quality plastic or softer plastic to match the rest of the vehicle inside.

4. Wireless charger - only driver side? I figured the entire section would be for driver and passenger but it was one side only. This was probably mentioned on this forum, but sitting in it and testing two phones, this just seems like a silly oversight. The passenger has pretty much everything else the driver has, why not just extend the charging pad?

5. The Trunk space. When I removed the top cover piece similar to other suv/crossovers you are losing space for the spare. Since this car doesn't have a spare I may just remove that piece you get what feels like so much additional storage.

6. The color: I originally had the Infinite blue premium SR ordered until last week when I saw some of the pictures, switched to the Star white and happy that I did. The Infinite blue while nice, ruins the aesthetics of the transition to the glass roof. The white seems to really emphasize the blacks whilst the blue just seems to hurt it. Obviously this is preference as I love 2-tone vehicles, but I'm happy I switched.

7. The door height. For some reason as I was exiting the passenger side my head nipped the top of the door. I adjusted the seat settings but it feels like you sit higher in the mach e and that could be an issue for taller individuals when exiting. (this was most likely from everyone messing with seat settings but something I'm just throwing out there for others to check out)

That's it, that is as nitpicky as I could get looking for any flaw to this vehicle. I really went out on a harsh limb to even find those items.

Biggest Pros for me(the entire car is awesome but keeping this limited):

The Doors! when you press the button and it kicks open a few inches. A latch shoots out and locks the door from closing shut. Wind will not be able to instantly shut this thing or someone accidently bumping it or kicking it shut. The moment you put any force into opening the door even the slightest that latch retracts but until you motion that you are in fact opening it will not shut. I think this is brilliant.

The Interior! The interior with all the textures and softness makes the car feel quieter. It just feels nice to sit in this vehicle compared to the plastics of less premium vehicles. Coming out of a Kia Niro into the Mach e you can instantly feel the noise difference and texture quality. (obviously different price points but I'm glad it's noticeable).

The size! I was expecting to feel like I'm hopping into a hatchback or sedan, but it was bigger then expected. Still not an SUV level but felt a bit bigger then the Kia Niro.

Outside of test driving, this pretty much solidified not cancelling my order and switching to a different EV. I can't imagine the driving would make me not want it. I loved the EV Niro and this is def. going to feel better then that one so I'm pretty convinced that will be fine.

Anyhow, this was a super over the top find as crazy of flaws as possible and that's all I could come up with.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I went to Haldeman Ford in East Windsor NJ today too, and I didn't really bother taking pictures either - these are the same cars that have been at the other NJ stops so there was no point duplicating the shots others have taken. I can say that they definitely pulled off the mustang look in the front, but I'm not sure about the back. It is reminiscent of the 80's hatchback with much better styling, but doesn't scream "mustang". Nonetheless it looks sharp and I am comfortable giving up my 2015 to get the route 1.

My thoughts/observations
  • I have to say I REALLY am pleased with the size of the car. I have always been a sports/small car guy and am happy that the MME is a little smaller than the escape; it is definitely a crossover and not an SUV. With that said, the cabin feels like it has similar room as my wife's Durango (except that there isn't a third row). The fastback illusion caused by the black upper roof portion worked well with the non-black car. Of course that illusion doesn't work with the black car, and I'm glad I picked red instead.
  • Getting in and out was easy and comfortable - no step up or down, just sit down and slide your legs in. Getting out I didn't catch my feet on the lip or anything, and it didn't feel like I needed a special effort.
  • With the mirrors out the car is 85-86 inches wide (my wife was holding the other end of the tape measure so not an exact measurement :). Fortunately the 360 camera works with the mirrors folded for getting into a tight one car garage like I have.
  • Depth from back of front seats to inside of back door is roughly 68 inches; not sure what position the front seat was in
  • The diagonal hatch measurement is about 44" so no getting uncut plywood or sheetrock in it
  • For those that asked about dogs getting in, the height from the ground to the top of the back seat cushion is 26"; with the seat back down the height is 30". The height to the load lip in the back is 30-31"
  • The navigation app does let you add waypoints along the route like food/restrooms. It does show you the chargers it picked and there seemed like a way to change the stops but it was a little counterintuitive and there were people waiting so I didn't try too hard. The app itself seemed a little rough around the edges, but that's OK for now - it will get better
  • I was really concerned about how bright the sun would be through the roof (I get migraines), and the sun came out long enough for me to see that the roof is dark enough that I don't think it will be an issue for me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
2. The massive screen. I wasn't able to find a dark mode but this thing is bright to a distracting level or at least was for me. If I could have found the brightness setting or a dark mode, this would not be an issue(I was scrolling pretty fast messing around so it should be there). But on default on a cloudy day, super bright and needs adjustments. *I would imagine being a tablet it should have a dimming feature or dark mode, so just an observation.
There are separate settings for the tablet and the binnacle behind the steering wheel for "dark", "light", and "auto".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are separate settings for the tablet and the binnacle behind the steering wheel for "dark", "light", and "auto".
Thanks - I couldn't find anything on the tablet for them but dark mode would be great.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,128 Posts
Cons:

4. Wireless charger - only driver side? I figured the entire section would be for driver and passenger but it was one side only. This was probably mentioned on this forum, but sitting in it and testing two phones, this just seems like a silly oversight. The passenger has pretty much everything else the driver has, why not just extend the charging pad?
Responses I've hear for these two from the design team:
Darren Palmer said the screen is so bright, even in the sunlight with the panoramic glass roof, that he and others who have tried it drive in dark mode.

Wireless charger:
In early user testing they found that the passenger uses their phone so much it makes more sense to serve that side with a USB so they can stay plugged in while using it. In contrast the drivers phone usually stays put, so wireless charging makes the most sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts