Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the UK & eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Mach E in May. But looking for more info on the ability of the car to be able to handle a 3 or 4 bike tow-mounted rack. From what I see, Ford are marketing a tow bar with a 30kg max nose weight. Am I wrong that this is effectively pointless for bikes, given any rack will weigh the best part of the total 30k before loading a single bike onto it? It seems this family car will not be able to handle carrying a family’s bikes... unless I’m missing something

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
278 Posts
I’m in the UK & eagerly awaiting the delivery of my Mach E in May. But looking for more info on the ability of the car to be able to handle a 3 or 4 bike tow-mounted rack. From what I see, Ford are marketing a tow bar with a 30kg max nose weight. Am I wrong that this is effectively pointless for bikes, given any rack will weigh the best part of the total 30k before loading a single bike onto it? It seems this family car will not be able to handle carrying a family’s bikes... unless I’m missing something
Interesting. Can you order the MME with a tow option in the UK? That’s an after market nightmare in the US 🙄
I would love to have a tow bike rack as well. Doesn’t seem to be feasible in the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Can you order the MME with a tow option in the UK? That’s an after market nightmare in the US 🙄
I would love to have a tow bike rack as well. Doesn’t seem to be feasible in the US.
Seems you can (Mustang Mach-E Detachable Tow Bar requires the Electrical Kit and Trailer Rear Module for fitment of the Tow Bar 09/2020 –), but I think it’s an after purchase addition. Still with 30kg nose/tongue max weight it seems pointless for bikes, unless I’m mistaken. Hence my question ...

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
278 Posts
Seems you can (Mustang Mach-E Detachable Tow Bar requires the Electrical Kit and Trailer Rear Module for fitment of the Tow Bar 09/2020 –), but I think it’s an after purchase addition. Still with 30kg nose/tongue max weight it seems pointless for bikes, unless I’m mistaken. Hence my question ...
OMG. This is what I want. But it’s not accessible in the US. But I agree that if the max is 30kg you can’t really add that many bikes. It would be one ore two max.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This confuses me even more - it’s the U.K. Mach E manual (https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-GBR_09_2020.pdf). Page 254-5 mentions 75kg whilst page 266 states 30kg. I don’t understand the different and which is correct when it comes to a bike rack. Would love to know if anyone has a definitive answer.
Page 266 is limited to the trailer max weight of 750 kg. EU minimum trailer hitch vertical weight is 4% of total trailer weight. 4% of 750 kg = 30 kg. This is how I assume the 30 kg vertical load limit is set for the trailer portion of the manual. The trailer hitch can take more load than 30 kg - but due to the trailer weight limit - 30 kg has been set. For a rear mounted carrier - 75 kg is the correct weight limit. You should be all set!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this. If goes a bit over my head, but I think you’ve given me the answer I want - I.e. 75kg for a tow bar mounted bike rack is ok.

But just so I’m clearer - why does a minimum trailer hitch vertical weight even exist? I.e 30kg in this case (40% of 750kg). And why does that then translate into a 30kg vertical load limit? Haven’t we just moved from a 30k minimum to a maximum, if you get what I mean?! Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for this. If goes a bit over my head, but I think you’ve given me the answer I want - I.e. 75kg for a tow bar mounted bike rack is ok.

But just so I’m clearer - why does a minimum trailer hitch vertical weight even exist? I.e 30kg in this case (40% of 750kg). And why does that then translate into a 30kg vertical load limit? Haven’t we just moved from a 30k minimum to a maximum, if you get what I mean?! Thanks
It's a bit confusing for sure - and I'm no expert! The hitch weight requirements for European Union are 4% to 7% of total trailer weight (be careful of that extra zero, it's 4 not 40!). The load on the trailer must be distributed about its axle to ensure to be within those limits. The maximum Mach-e trailer weight limit is 750kg. So if we take the heaviest trailer allowed and the lightest vertical hitch percent allowed, that will be the limitations for the Mach-e trailer (750kg*0.04=30kg). Yes, you can have 30kg of vertical load at the higher 7% limit, but then this calculates to a lighter trailer (30kg/0.07=428kg). Super confusing I know. There are many more factors which come into play when placing weight behind the vehicle attached only by a ball. Stopping distances, trailer sway dynamics at speed, etc.

I think the basics for you are: If you are primarily interested in a rear bar mounted rack for bikes, 75kg is the limit for Mach-e. If you want to tow a trailer, then mind the trailers total weight and vertical tongue weight on the hitch (which is governed by law in the EU) - and of course mind the max speed limit of 100 km/h.

I hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts