Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
997 Posts
Maybe. We really don't know what the Mach E 0-60 will be, do we?

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
And faster than only the base model.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well, faster than the "targeted" acceleration times for all of the RWD versions: SR RWD (select, premium) is "low six seconds" and ER RWD (rt1, premium) is "mid six seconds". The non-GT AWD (select, premium) are only targeted as "mid 5 seconds", which in that wording could be 5.7. Hopefully those original numbers are sandbagged and Ford does better.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
It still burns gas so its a non-starter for
Me. It doesn’t matter how fast it goes.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It still burns gas so its a non-starter for
Me. It doesn’t matter how fast it goes.
Its rare that I see someone shopping for an EV in this segment also consider a hybrid. But for hybrid buyers, this is a great option.

Toyota does have plans for full-electric cars and that's something I actually look forward to.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The point for me isn't that they directly compete for the same buyer. What is significant is that BEV's are known to have instant acceleration, so one "with the soul of a mustang" should easily outperform a PHEV. Only 1 of 9 drive/battery configurations does (GT), with 3 of 9 only slightly better (AWD Select, AWD premium, FE), with 2 losing badly (Route 1 and premium ER RWD).

I REALLY hope the acceleration, range, charge speed, and mi/kwh efficiency are better than the "target" numbers.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just got around to watching this video and I am really impressed. This is a great option for someone who needs the hybrid option as it will serve as a BEV for most people's daily range and as a hybrid when needed for longer trips. The Hybrid FWD with auxiliary electric motor on the rear is genius. This will also help tremendously with the MPG loss suffered by most AWD/4WD systems. The ability to drive full speed as a BEV up to 42 miles of range is great.

If I weren't committed to going entirely BEV, I'd be tempted. If they introduced this capability in the Tacoma I could easily see myself going that route instead of a BEV for my pickup.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got around to watching this video and I am really impressed. This is a great option for someone who needs the hybrid option as it will serve as a BEV for most people's daily range and as a hybrid when needed for longer trips. The Hybrid FWD with auxiliary electric motor on the rear is genius. This will also help tremendously with the MPG loss suffered by most AWD/4WD systems. The ability to drive full speed as a BEV up to 42 miles of range is great.

If I weren't committed to going entirely BEV, I'd be tempted. If they introduced this capability in the Tacoma I could easily see myself going that route instead of a BEV for my pickup.
You might be in luck.

"In addition to a shared platform, the next- generation Tundra and Tacoma will include some form of electrification. The automaker's top executives have promised that every nameplate in Toyota's global lineup will have some form of electrification to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. That could mean something as light as the 48-volt mild-hybrid system in the Ram 1500 to a plug-in hybrid.

"We're looking at what makes the most sense, not only for 2025 but for out to 2035 and beyond, and what is the market demand for it," said Mike Sweers, lead engineer for Toyota's "four brothers": the Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner midsize SUV and Sequoia large SUV. Sweers, speaking in February at the Chicago Auto Show, said torque and toughness will remain key to Toyota in its next-generation body-on-frame vehicles."

·
Registered
997 Posts
Very interesting. Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall but this does sound promising. I'm still waiting to see how I'll replace my Tacoma. Ford also has the BEV Maverick unibody small pickup coming. The real question is how much will I want to haul.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
The PHEV approach Toyota is taking may not sit well with the typical BEV purchaser, nor many environmentalists.

Where Toyota’s direction will succeed is luring the typical ICE owner towards the light. These ICE owners count for 97% of the market (2019’s numbers).
Getting these ICE owners to electrify in any way helps in the long run.

Eventually we will see better battery tech, like the upcoming solid state tech, or the even better glass battery being developed by John Goodenough and Maria Helena Braga, that will make such intermediary PHEV steps unnecessary.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Where Toyota’s direction will succeed is luring the typical ICE owner towards the light. These ICE owners count for 97% of the market (2019’s numbers).
Getting these ICE owners to electrify in any way helps in the long run.
Targeting this group of people probably makes better business sense anyway because there are so many more of them. In the real world, I rarely ever talk to anyone about EVs because most people I know wouldn't care or don't get it. They haven't really considered whether an EV of some kind would make sense and hold preconceived negative notions about electrified vehicles. Something like a RAV4 Prime could be a gateway for them -- huh, these electrified vehicles actually make a lot of sense and don't require big compromises anymore. And it's even fast, not a slow power wheels car!

My experience is that typical salespeople usually don't know much about EVs and don't really sell them well. Toyota salespeople might finally have an incentive to push this PHEV because the sticker will be relatively high compared to other RAV4 on the lot and offer some profit for the dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Very interesting. Unfortunately the article is behind a paywall but this does sound promising. I'm still waiting to see how I'll replace my Tacoma. Ford also has the BEV Maverick unibody small pickup coming. The real question is how much will I want to haul.
I'm awaiting a smaller BEV/PHEV pickup too. All of this talk about a Cybertruck or electric F-150 do not interest me because those vehicles will be too large. I like a smaller truck like Tacoma size.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe it can do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds but that's with both engine engaged. It has been disclosed this week that 100% electric 0-60 time is... 10 seconds! When you drive a PHEV, you usally want to use the minimum of fuel when possible. So in electric mode, it's much slower than a Chevy Volt.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I quoted is the meat and potatoes of that article.
Toyota hasn't let us down with their 'four-brothers' so there's a good chance that all next-generation versions will be solid vehicles. The new RAV4 and Highlander are good examples of that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually really like the Prime. 90mpg is crazy good. I like the Heads Up Display option and it's as quick as my Audi Q5 turbo which is impressive. But if I can get a MachE I'll get a MachE. The problem is my Q5 lease is up in January. So if I can't get my hands on a Premium MachE by then not sure what I'll be able to do. But Prime is in the running.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually really like the Prime. 90mpg is crazy good. I like the Heads Up Display option and it's as quick as my Audi Q5 turbo which is impressive. But if I can get a MachE I'll get a MachE. The problem is my Q5 lease is up in January. So if I can't get my hands on a Premium MachE by then not sure what I'll be able to do. But Prime is in the running.
Nice!
That should be possible if you stay on top of allocations in your region. Which Mach-E Premium model are you planning to get? Standard Range Battery RWD, Standard Range Battery AWD, Extended Range Battery RWD or Extended Range Battery AWD?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice!
That should be possible if you stay on top of allocations in your region. Which Mach-E Premium model are you planning to get? Standard Range Battery RWD, Standard Range Battery AWD, Extended Range Battery RWD or Extended Range Battery AWD?
I preordered a red Premium Extended Range AWD.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FYI, Toyota RAV4 Prime towing capacity is rated at 2,500 pounds, that's 1,000 more than the MME.

·
Registered
997 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts