Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me apologize if this has been answered before, I just couldn’t find it. I’ve yet to go on a trip. Health issues, AND range anxiety. When I play with the FordPass trip planner, it’ll come up with numbers I don’t understand. First, why charge only to 34%? As long as I’m getting off the highway, driving to the charge point, bothering with hooking up the car, why not charge it further? If I understand correctly, the car doesn’t charge on a linear path. It has fast, and slow charge times, although I’ve never seen that spelled out. Still, as long as I’m there, shouldn’t I charge the car more? Second. Who wants to drive the car all the way down to 10, or 14% charge? That sure seems like living dangerously. Am I missing some?

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
145 Posts
The app is just trying to get you where you want to go as fast as possible, you only need 34% to get to the next charger and it doesn't think you can get to the charger after that with an 80% charge. By the way, the system is extremely conservative and I've found planning out my own route is more efficient (I'm ok driving 20 more miles when I'm at 50 mile range).

I have no issues driving at 10% range if I know I'll get to a charger before I get to under 5 miles of range.

·
Registered
"Shadowfax" 2021 Star White Select AWD
145 Posts
Where is your sense of adventure? So far the app seems to be pretty good about telling you if a charge is working or now. I have yet to see a fast charger not working, lots of level 2's aren't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Let me apologize if this has been answered before, I just couldn’t find it. I’ve yet to go on a trip. Health issues, AND range anxiety. When I play with the FordPass trip planner, it’ll come up with numbers I don’t understand. First, why charge only to 34%? As long as I’m getting off the highway, driving to the charge point, bothering with hooking up the car, why not charge it further? If I understand correctly, the car doesn’t charge on a linear path. It has fast, and slow charge times, although I’ve never seen that spelled out. Still, as long as I’m there, shouldn’t I charge the car more? Second. Who wants to drive the car all the way down to 10, or 14% charge? That sure seems like living dangerously. Am I missing some?
Charging an EV on a DC fast charger is different that L2 or L1 charger at home. More or less an L1 / L2 charger will deliver the same current to your vehicle from 0% to 100% charge. DC Fast charging is very different. Most efficient charging is found below 80%. At low states of charge you'll pull the highest current and it'll lower as you get higher and approach 80%, and fall off a cliff after 80%. EV route planners, planning the fast trip, will have you stop to charge more, but have you spend less overall time charging, by keeping you in the more optimal levels for fastest charging.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Adventure? Have you never been on the road with a wife???? That is enough adventure for me!

Our local Walmart E/A DCFC chargers have 4 stations. I have seen three of them down on multiple occasions.

And the 80% drop off cliff has been fairly well corrected. I still charge at 46 kWh at over 90% now.

JMHO

Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
When I first started driving my MMe, when I stopped to charge I would always go to 80%.

With experience, I’ve learned that this is inefficient with time. By charging to a % that gave me the mileage I needed to get to the next charge stop + 30 miles, I saved a ton of time. 30 miles is roughly 10% remaining battery. i’ve gone as low as 1% when heading into an area with a lot of chargers.

The more you drive, the more comfortable you will be with what you can get our of your MMe.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charging an EV on a DC fast charger is different that L2 or L1 charger at home. More or less an L1 / L2 charger will deliver the same current to your vehicle from 0% to 100% charge. DC Fast charging is very different. Most efficient charging is found below 80%. At low states of charge you'll pull the highest current and it'll lower as you get higher and approach 80%, and fall off a cliff after 80%. EV route planners, planning the fast trip, will have you stop to charge more, but have you spend less overall time charging, by keeping you in the more optimal levels for fastest charging.
Makes sense. I thought that might be the answer. Although, it does seem inefficient to spend the time getting off the highway, 5 minutes, or more to the charge station, etc. than just driving through. I guess the slowing down of the charging curve makes up for the time spent looking for the charger. Some day I’ll be brave enough to give it a try. Also, the ones who say they take it down to10% or less, live in Arizona? Not too many chargers outside of Phoenix.

Thanks for all the answers!

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Makes sense. I thought that might be the answer. Although, it does seem inefficient to spend the time getting off the highway, 5 minutes, or more to the charge station, etc. than just driving through. I guess the slowing down of the charging curve makes up for the time spent looking for the charger. Some day I’ll be brave enough to give it a try. Also, the ones who say they take it down to10% or less, live in Arizona? Not too many chargers outside of Phoenix.

Thanks for all the answers!
Yeah, where chargers are scarce, spending the extra 15-20 minutes charging is worth the peace-of-mind. I only go down to single digits in areas with abundant charging.

I take the suggestions of trip-planner apps as the minimum-charge needed to get to the next stop.

Keeps us posted when you do decide to take that road-trip!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I first started driving my MMe, when I stopped to charge I would always go to 80%.

With experience, I’ve learned that this is inefficient with time. By charging to a % that gave me the mileage I needed to get to the next charge stop + 30 miles, I saved a ton of time. 30 miles is roughly 10% remaining battery. i’ve gone as low as 1% when heading into an area with a lot of chargers.

The more you drive, the more comfortable you will be with what you can get our of your MMe.
I agree and have adopted this approach, but with a couple of provisions. I check the upcoming charge location(s) on plug share to find out how reliable the station is. Living in Texas I have learned that Oklahoma chargers won't live up to even the worst of what I see on Plugshare about them as they always are slower or broken beyond what other people mention. So, sticking to Interstates and EA chargers, checking ahead of time on my next station, and doing my own calculation on expected range based on my recent miles per KwH performance (to me, what is missing is a widget that shows your performance over time in the form of a line graph or even the bars I had on my explorer for avg mpg.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts