Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
Let me apologize if this has been answered before, I just couldn’t find it. I’ve yet to go on a trip. Health issues, AND range anxiety. When I play with the FordPass trip planner, it’ll come up with numbers I don’t understand. First, why charge only to 34%? As long as I’m getting off the highway, driving to the charge point, bothering with hooking up the car, why not charge it further? If I understand correctly, the car doesn’t charge on a linear path. It has fast, and slow charge times, although I’ve never seen that spelled out. Still, as long as I’m there, shouldn’t I charge the car more? Second. Who wants to drive the car all the way down to 10, or 14% charge? That sure seems like living dangerously. Am I missing some?
When I first started driving my MMe, when I stopped to charge I would always go to 80%.

With experience, I’ve learned that this is inefficient with time. By charging to a % that gave me the mileage I needed to get to the next charge stop + 30 miles, I saved a ton of time. 30 miles is roughly 10% remaining battery. i’ve gone as low as 1% when heading into an area with a lot of chargers.

The more you drive, the more comfortable you will be with what you can get our of your MMe.

·
Super Moderator
3,074 Posts
Makes sense. I thought that might be the answer. Although, it does seem inefficient to spend the time getting off the highway, 5 minutes, or more to the charge station, etc. than just driving through. I guess the slowing down of the charging curve makes up for the time spent looking for the charger. Some day I’ll be brave enough to give it a try. Also, the ones who say they take it down to10% or less, live in Arizona? Not too many chargers outside of Phoenix.

Thanks for all the answers!
Yeah, where chargers are scarce, spending the extra 15-20 minutes charging is worth the peace-of-mind. I only go down to single digits in areas with abundant charging.

I take the suggestions of trip-planner apps as the minimum-charge needed to get to the next stop.

Keeps us posted when you do decide to take that road-trip!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts