Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me apologize if this has been answered before, I just couldn’t find it. I’ve yet to go on a trip. Health issues, AND range anxiety. When I play with the FordPass trip planner, it’ll come up with numbers I don’t understand. First, why charge only to 34%? As long as I’m getting off the highway, driving to the charge point, bothering with hooking up the car, why not charge it further? If I understand correctly, the car doesn’t charge on a linear path. It has fast, and slow charge times, although I’ve never seen that spelled out. Still, as long as I’m there, shouldn’t I charge the car more? Second. Who wants to drive the car all the way down to 10, or 14% charge? That sure seems like living dangerously. Am I missing some?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Charging an EV on a DC fast charger is different that L2 or L1 charger at home. More or less an L1 / L2 charger will deliver the same current to your vehicle from 0% to 100% charge. DC Fast charging is very different. Most efficient charging is found below 80%. At low states of charge you'll pull the highest current and it'll lower as you get higher and approach 80%, and fall off a cliff after 80%. EV route planners, planning the fast trip, will have you stop to charge more, but have you spend less overall time charging, by keeping you in the more optimal levels for fastest charging.
Makes sense. I thought that might be the answer. Although, it does seem inefficient to spend the time getting off the highway, 5 minutes, or more to the charge station, etc. than just driving through. I guess the slowing down of the charging curve makes up for the time spent looking for the charger. Some day I’ll be brave enough to give it a try. Also, the ones who say they take it down to10% or less, live in Arizona? Not too many chargers outside of Phoenix.

Thanks for all the answers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts