Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the mach e has a smaller speedometer dash display, has anyone heard whether the 15" display can be turned off when not in use?
Coming from a much older 2009 ford that didn't have any bright center display, it would be distracting to have such a large center console display on all the time. It would be nice if we could turn the display on when we need it.

Also, are there any controls for dimming that display? Does it auto adjust the brightness based on ambient light? How much control should we expect over how it behaves? Has anyone had any first hand experience with the mach e, that might know some of these answers?
I didn't see it addressed in the owners manual, or if it was, I must have missed it.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,789 Posts
Since the mach e has a smaller speedometer dash display, has anyone heard whether the 15" display can be turned off when not in use?
Coming from a much older 2009 ford that didn't have any bright center display, it would be distracting to have such a large center console display on all the time. It would be nice if we could turn the display on when we need it.

Also, are there any controls for dimming that display? Does it auto adjust the brightness based on ambient light? How much control should we expect over how it behaves? Has anyone had any first hand experience with the mach e, that might know some of these answers?
I didn't see it addressed in the owners manual, or if it was, I must have missed it.
On my Mercedes I have two large screens: one in front and one in the center. I can turn off the large center screen, but never have.

The brightness of the center screen is adjustable, and there are two settings: daytime and nighttime.

I have never found the screen in either daytime or nighttime to be a distraction.

My Ford Edge has a center screen, albeit only 8 inches. I have never turned it off. I have never found it to be a distraction.

Remember the center screen has among other things, your navigation, ac and heat settings, fan settings and radio, all things we use when we are driving.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it will be a personal preference thing, I am sure. I mean a touch screen shouldn't be hard to "turn on". My phone, I just double tap the off screen and the screen comes alive. Just wondering I could do the same on the mach e.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to be able to tap the screen alive, do what I need to do, have it turn off and fade into the background. My eyes will primarily be on the road in front of me. I don't like the idea of a screen on in my peripheral when I am not needing it or using it. The one in the dash is an exception, because I need to see a bare minimum of info to drive safely.

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
I'd like to be able to tap the screen alive, do what I need to do, have it turn off and fade into the background. My eyes will primarily be on the road in front of me. I don't like the idea of a screen on in my peripheral when I am not needing it or using it. The one in the dash is an exception, because I need to see a bare minimum of info to drive safely.
I read there is a way to put the screen to sleep, something to do with a long press at the center of the volume knob. I cannot verify the accuracy of this, though.

There are brightness settings and you can default to dark mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can change the brightness levels as well as either set the screen to a black theme or have the system auto adjust to the black theme at night time. There is a "quiet mode" for the screen that simply shows the basic clock/weather and air/heating controls at the bottom of the screen. I have not seen an option to turn off the screen.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I read there is a way to put the screen to sleep, something to do with a long press at the center of the volume knob. I cannot verify the accuracy of this, though.

There are brightness settings and you can default to dark mode.
There's a calm screen setting under General > Settings > Display
Turning that on will switch the screen to basic info, you can touch the screen to bring it back but have to manually turn it on again I believe.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, once I have mine, I will have to see what that setting does, and how well it works!

There's a calm screen setting under General > Settings > Display
Turning that on will switch the screen to basic info, you can touch the screen to bring it back but have to manually turn it on again I believe.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What about the various "switched" functions on this display like the synthetic engine noise. If you have toggled that switch to off will it (and the other features you want off) stay off or will it return to "On" the next drive cycle?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts