Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the Model Y I see the VW ID.4 as biggest competition to the Mach E especially since VW still has EV credits available and will likely be a lower price than those two. I also see Rivian to a lesser extent and BMW's i4 depending on how its priced. What other competitors do you see the next year or two?

·
Registered
453 Posts
There's the Nissan Ariya. I expected it would be kind of dull, like the Leaf, but I heard recently that it has a two-motor setup so it might be decently peppy!

I think it's a long way off though.

·
Registered
228 Posts
volvo xc40 recharge
Yep. While I don't necessarily expect big sales from any Volvo in the US, that looks like a very strong competitor. Nice looking vehicle. More SUV-like (which tends to suit US driver tastes), AWD, 408 hp.

Plus anyone can go and look at the vehicle in showrooms today (the ICE version, which is the same vehicle the BEV will be).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm also interested in the XC40 Recharge, but there's not nearly as many details available on it as compared to the Mach-E, and wasn't it unveiled about a month ahead of the Mach-E? It makes me wonder if it's really going to be available in the US late this year. I found an XC40 Recharge forum buried on a regular XC40 forum, and the most recent post was 3 months ago. There's not near the talk of the XC40 as there is for Mach-E or Model Y.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Besides the Model Y I see the VW ID.4 as biggest competition to the Mach E especially since VW still has EV credits available and will likely be a lower price than those two. I also see Rivian to a lesser extent and BMW's i4 depending on how its priced. What other competitors do you see the next year or two?
ID.4 will not be cheaper, a halfway usable ID.3 with a 77kwh battery is in the same price range already.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm also interested in the XC40 Recharge, but there's not nearly as many details available on it as compared to the Mach-E, and wasn't it unveiled about a month ahead of the Mach-E? It makes me wonder if it's really going to be available in the US late this year. I found an XC40 Recharge forum buried on a regular XC40 forum, and the most recent post was 3 months ago. There's not near the talk of the XC40 as there is for Mach-E or Model Y.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about it too. If it proves to be as promised, that's really good power with AWD, popular SUV design, upscale build quality, good range, at what purports to be a reasonable price. Although we don't know yet whether that $50k price point will be bare bones or well-featured. It could end up being maybe $5k-$10k more than the Mach-e on a comparative basis. And there's no ER battery option.

That 200+ mile range really needs to be proven too. Wouldn't surprise me if it disappointed on range (especially at highway speeds), since it's a heavy vehicle with big power, and a less aerodynamic body style.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a pre-order on the XC40 Recharge as well as the Mach-e. Opportunity came about 3 months before the Mach-e. I also have a Tesla Truck reservation. I had a pre-order on the Audi e-Tron but passed on the vehicle as it was too big for my use. Saw the Mach-e at the Houston Auto show and it is at the high end of my acceptable range. The XC 40 is at the low end of my acceptable range. The up-coming Audi Q4 e-Tron, which is based on the VW id4 platform, may be the perfect size and a more up-scale offering than the Mach-e. My wife likes the Mach-e but hates the Mustang moniker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm really disappointed in the XC40 info so far. I thought I would have to make a tough decision between the Mach-e and the XC40. A realistic winter range under 200 miles in a similar price range is probably not a winner for me.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm really disappointed in the XC40 info so far. I thought I would have to make a tough decision between the Mach-e and the XC40. A realistic winter range under 200 miles in a similar price range is probably not a winner for me.
All I've seen on range so far is a rough estimate of "over 200 miles". Granted, it's unlikely to come in much over that. And 200 for the 78 kWh battery seems inline with the 210 projection for the SR 76 kWh Mach-e (AWD) battery. And the XC40 has bigger motors than the Mach-e (except for the GT). So 200 probably is a logical estimate.

What's missing, of course, it an option for an ER battery to boost that range higher. Personally I don't need it as I've decided the BEV will be just my daily around-home car. But for those that really need longer range, 200 is fairly weak by today's standards.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The number up on the CleanTechnica article is 248 miles WTLP on the XC40. Cut that down by at least 20% for the EPA cycle then take into account losing another 20+% in the winter and it gets too low for me, especially at the price. I drive a Leaf as my daily now so I get not needing longer range most of the time. I want my next BEV to cover my regional driving as well as my normal commute.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts