Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain or give me advice how to utilize this tax credit for a charger in the home?

My house is old and I would have to completely revamp my electric box to install a charger. If this tax credit would help I'd consider upgrading my box and installing one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. My box is from 1963. I still have the round fuses. Problem is I don't have any room for expansion. My friend is a master electrician and he told me I have to upgrade my whole panel to install a new line that size.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You can probably set up a separate panel
Thanks. My box is from 1963. I still have the round fuses. Problem is I don't have any room for expansion. My friend is a master electrician and he told me I have to upgrade my whole panel to install a new line that size.
"Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station"

So since you need a new panel to install the charging station or NEMA 14-50 for a portable EVSE, it looks legit to at least claim a part of the cost for the EV charger.

If your house is from 1963, you may be using propane or heating oil for home heating... might also consider upgrading the service/panel to a much higher rating to allow installation of a heat pump. My house was built in 2014 with natural gas heating and my master breaker is 225A.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pew is right. All new houses (or those being remodeled) will have at least a 200 amp master breaker/rating. Use that tax credit to get your friend to install a new box. At the same time he can install you a sub box in your garage to run your charger off of.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just called a tax professional asking about this tax credit to have a charger installed in your home. They hadn't heard anything about a credit pertaining to the charging station. Can anyone help or have have knowledge on this topic?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the credits expired at the end of 2017? ClipperCreek has a nice page with links to state specific incentives. Maybe something is available for your state?

In December 2019, the EV charger tax credit was extended through the year 2020.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts