Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the benefits of Tesla is their supercharging network and they are constantly improving and undercutting their competition. I live in an area with a LOT of Teslas so my question is will the Mach-E be able to charge using Tesla's network for a possibly cheaper price? Will it need a special adapter? Thankfully I have a 240V outlet I can charge at home but I want to make sure I won't ever run out of a charge.

Here is an article I read about pricing and Tesla sounds like they're going to be hard to beat even with Ford's new partnerships.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tesla doesn't allow other manufacturers' vehicles to charge from its Supercharger stations.

Check out plugshare.com, though. You can tell PlugShare which types of plugs your car is compatible with, and then it will show you the chargers that are available on the map. Mustang Mach-E supports CCS/SAE (aka "DC Fast Charge") and J-1772 (aka "AC Level 2", or less typically, "AC Level 1").

Ford is including a mobile charger with the MME. It uses the very common J-1772 to connect to the car, and will have plugs for both 120V and 240V outlets. The plugs on the included charger are most likely going to be NEMA 5-15, which is your typical American household outlet, and NEMA 14-50.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
in Europe Teslas have the same plug as most other EVs, MS and MX have a Type 2 and M3 has a Type 2 CSS combo. So using a Supercharger in Europe is a software limitation, nothing else. most supercharger stalls already have a Css cable in addition to the type 2 cable. i already can use Tesla destination charger with my Ioniq. actually I did yesterday evening while eating in a restaurant. Elon said a long time ago, he is open for other car companies to join the network as long they help to maintain and expand it. Maybe we should kindly ask Elon to open the network for everyone that is willing to pay individually.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All he'd need to do is enable non Tesla customers to pay for the energy, upkeep, and a bit more (profit) to help grow his network.

Outside of Europe, they'd also have to add a CCS cord to each stall.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You will not be able to use the Tesla supercharger network but can use the destination charger. But will need the $200 adapter

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you do own the adapter, when are you using it? Just at friend or family garages with Tesla EVSEs, or have you found yourself needing it elsewhere like hotels or restaurants?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone used those adapters? Do they actually work?
Yes the now you know you tubers have one and tested it out it works for home and or Tesla destination chargers only. Also on the plug share apps or the EA app you can search for Tesla destination chargers with the adapter just cat use their superchargers

·
Registered
33 Posts
in Europe you can charge at fastned chargers without the need of a card to authenticate, so the car is recognized only by plug in, the same way teslas are at the supercharger. that means. so I think technically it is possible for most EVs to charge at the supercharger without any technical change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
in Europe you can charge at fastned chargers without the need of a card to authenticate, so the car is recognized only by plug in, the same way teslas are at the supercharger. that means. so I think technically it is possible for most EVs to charge at the supercharger without any technical change.
I don't know what you mean by "technical change" but the Mach-E plugs are different than the supercharger plugs and the communication protocols are also different. So it would take some changes for it to work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts