Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any WA residents here? Looks like the state tax rebates have a cutoff at 45k
And according to this Clean alternative fuel and plug-in hybrid vehicles - sales/use tax exemptions | Washington Department of Revenue, destination charge also need to be included.
I guess this means only base Select trim is eligible? Which is really sad...

"The exemption will be applied to the sales price or fair market value" "Manufacturer and distributor rebates are part of the selling price. "
Does this mean the financing incentive is also part of the selling price?

I'm hoping to get the $47k base premium trim but it just has 3k gap between the cutoff... Is there anything could be done? Maybe wait for dealer stock for a discount?...

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
And according to this Clean alternative fuel and plug-in hybrid vehicles - sales/use tax exemptions | Washington Department of Revenue, destination charge also need to be included.

"The exemption will be applied to the sales price or fair market value" "Manufacturer and distributor rebates are part of the selling price. "

I'm hoping to get the $47k base premium trim but it just has 3k gap between the cutoff... Is there anything could be done? Maybe wait for dealer stock for a discount?...
Unfortunately, most State programs go by the MSRP of the vehicle, not the actual sale price.
The idea behind the cap was to make the rebate available to the average person, instead of the typical EV buyer who has a higher than median income.
It would have been better to make the rebate available based on personal income, rather than the price of the car.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
881 Posts
Unfortunately, most State programs go by the MSRP of the vehicle, not the actual sale price.
The idea behind the cap was to make the rebate available to the average person, instead of the typical EV buyer who has a higher than median income.
It would have been better to make the rebate available based on personal income, rather than the price of the car.
Personal income: too complicated: For example the President paid only $750 in taxes and if rebate was based on personal income, the President would have been entitled to the rebate.

What is interesting is how different each state is: In NY the rebate of $2,000 is based on MSRP but not including destination charges. Manufacturer's incentives or dealer discounts are not deducted from the MSRP. The rebate is $2,000 but above $60,000 it drops to $500. Unlike NJ, in New York you still pay sales tax on a EV.

But you are correct: The rebate is to encourage the sale of EV's available to the general public and not to support the sale of luxury cars, i.e. cars that have a MSRP above $60,000.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The equitable thing would have been for our state to offer EV exemptions for everyone up to the $45,000 cap and then normally tax amounts above that. . .

·
Registered
13 Posts

I am in the same boat, as the result my choice is Select. It has everything except heated seats, but something tells me this feature is just disabled by software.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have called the tax office in Vancouver to get an explanation. The $45k cutoff is selling price which is the sale price before manufacture rebates as well as before delivery. So the best you can get straight up is a Select with the $2,600 handsfree tech upgrade if you are X-plan eligible.

What I have also seen is that if you have a trade in, most dealers are willing to sell you a new car for say $2,000 less if you sell them your trade in for $2k less.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have called the tax office in Vancouver to get an explanation. The $45k cutoff is selling price which is the sale price before manufacture rebates as well as before delivery. So the best you can get straight up is a Select with the $2,600 handsfree tech upgrade if you are X-plan eligible.

What I have also seen is that if you have a trade in, most dealers are willing to sell you a new car for say $2,000 less if you sell them your trade in for $2k less.
Keep in mind that:

• The MSRP is the determining factor. A trade in does not reduce the MSRP.
  • Destination charges are not included - same as NY
  • Incentives or discount does not reduce the price. The X plan is a discount and will not reduce the MSRP
  • The MSRP not the selling price (dealer discounts) determines whether you qualify for the state rebate

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
13 Posts

Unfortunately, destination fee must be included. At least this is what they say in the official example on the gov website.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Keep in mind that:

• The MSRP is the determining factor. A trade in does not reduce the MSRP.
  • Destination charges are not included - same as NY
  • Incentives or discount does not reduce the price. The X plan is a discount and will not reduce the MSRP
  • The MSRP not the selling price (dealer discounts) determines whether you qualify for the state rebate
Unfortunately, destination fee must be included. At least this is what they say in the official example on the gov website.
I stand corrected: From the above it would seem that in Washington, the destination charge is included in the price in determining the threshold of $45,000.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I stand corrected: From the above it would seem that in Washington, the destination charge is included in the price in determining the threshold of $45,000.

Yeah, the only option you can add is color. It was not an option before ford reduced the price by $1k. I find base model best value for the buck, it is like hidden tesla 3 for $35k that they do not want you to buy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I called and asked the representative said that the delivery fee is taxed, but that it didn’t count toward the $45k limit for the EV tax exemption. Take it for what it is, they way I read from the link above it would count toward it. I’d recommend calling as well.

The current WA EV incentive threshold is $45k selling price. The previous incentive was eligible models. A model was eligible if it could go 30 miles from a non gasoline/Diesel source and had an available trim with an MSRO below $45k (or $43k? Somewhere in there).

I have taken advantage of both programs. And while the first one was better, the second can save quite a bit too. Trust me on the trade in trick, check with your dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I called and asked the representative said that the delivery fee is taxed, but that it didn’t count toward the $45k limit for the EV tax exemption. Take it for what it is, they way I read from the link above it would count toward it. I’d recommend calling as well.

The current WA EV incentive threshold is $45k selling price. The previous incentive was eligible models. A model was eligible if it could go 30 miles from a non gasoline/Diesel source and had an available trim with an MSRO below $45k (or $43k? Somewhere in there).

I have taken advantage of both programs. And while the first one was better, the second can save quite a bit too. Trust me on the trade in trick, check with your dealer.
Could be. The wording is pretty clear about delivery charge though

The exemption will be applied to the sales price...
The selling price includes delivery charges...

·
Registered
13 Posts
But then it also states

In addition, the vehicle must be sold or valued at $45,000 or less if new

So I guess it might fly. I think it is up to the dealer to do proper paperwork and calculate reduced taxes at the purchase time

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
I’m surprised at the wording of the WA program.

In NJ, they simplified it by going off of the MSRP only. And only the actual vehicle items are counted (like paint and tires, but not mats, destination, or dealer add-ons)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts