Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seeing this come up so I wanted to get a thread going explaining what the L mode does. Apparently it increases regenerative braking so that it almost feels like one-pedal driving. I'm looking forward to trying this out. If it's like the L mode in a Chevrolet Bolt, then I have an idea of how this will feel on the road.

Is it more efficient overall to be in L or not to be in L? I mean, which mode would use a total of less kWh over a drive to work for example?

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
I'm seeing this come up so I wanted to get a thread going explaining what the L mode does. Apparently it increases regenerative braking so that it almost feels like one-pedal driving. I'm looking forward to trying this out. If it's like the L mode in a Chevrolet Bolt, then I have an idea of how this will feel on the road.

Is it more efficient overall to be in L or not to be in L? I mean, which mode would use a total of less kWh over a drive to work for example?

View attachment 2882
There is no economy mode on the MMe, i asked that directly of the engineers. Darren Palmer answered this in one of the online Q&A sessions. Driving in 1-pedal is no more efficient than driving using two. Neither are any of the three drive modes (engage, whisper, unbridled) more efficient.

L sounds like its using motor regen-braking to simulate a low-gear on a grade, which is why it has no effect when 1-pedal is engaged.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,134 Posts
There is no economy mode on the MMe, i asked that directly of the engineers. Darren Palmer answered this in one of the online Q&A sessions. Driving in 1-pedal is no more efficient than driving using two. Neither are any of the three drive modes (engage, whisper, unbridled) more efficient.

L sounds like its using motor regen-braking to simulate a low-gear on a grade, which is why it has no effect when 1-pedal is engaged.

I hope this helps.
While no mode is inherently more efficient, Darren did say that Unbridled may encourage more enthusiastic driving, which is less efficient.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,134 Posts

View attachment 2882
I see L in the Mach E to be similar to B in our Leaf. It increases regenerative braking without being one-pedal. I sometimes use it to slow faster coming up to lights and on downhills.

B also doesn't seem to make much difference in cruise control when the car already uses regeneration to keep speed constant on downhills.

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
While no mode is inherently more efficient, Darren did say that Unbridled may encourage more enthusiastic driving, which is less efficient.
I’m coming from a Fusion Hybrid, that does 0-60 in whenever-it-gets-there. Any mode in the MMe AWD/ER I’ve ordered will encourage more enthusiastic driving from me. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought L was Left and R was Right.... i would prefer a joystick for steering..

i mean the dialer is just not ideal, not easy accesible. In my Mitsubishi they have shifters behind the steering wheel for selecting up or down the regeneration.

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
I thought L was Left and R was Right.... i would prefer a joystick for steering..

i mean the dialer is just not ideal, not easy accesible. In my Mitsubishi they have shifters behind the steering wheel for selecting up or down the regeneration.
The majority of automatic transmission cars have the same gear positions P,R,N,D,L. (L) has always stood for Low.

(L) simulates this Low gear of traditional transmission. Ford decided to go this route because it is instantly recognized by the traditional ICE driver.

You don’t dial to the Low-gear (L) setting, when in Drive (D), you push down on the dial to go in and out of (L).

In lieu of paddles in the MMe, Ford decided to:
  • have the regen fixed to a certain level for each drive mode.
  • 1-pedal is either on or off, user selectable.
I think the implementation is quite smart. Any combustion engine driver could just sit behind the Mustang Mach-E wheel and drive without ever having to touch the center screen, or learn anything new to operate the vehicle.

This level of comfort and familiarity will help BEV adoption in the US market, where less than 1% of all cars on the road are fully electric.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes i understand that. But i had many manual and automatic shifting cars, i prefer the mitsubishi joystick and shifters because it works very intuitive, don’t need your hands of the steering wheel and you don‘t have to look down when using selecting drive mode or push L. in the MME you have to go through a menu to select one pedal drive, dial drive mode, look down and push a button. Doesn’t sound intuitive.

·
Super Moderator
1,462 Posts
Yes i understand that. But i had many manual and automatic shifting cars, i prefer the mitsubishi joystick and shifters because it works very intuitive, don’t need your hands of the steering wheel and you don‘t have to look down when using selecting drive mode or push L. in the MME you have to go through a menu to select one pedal drive, dial drive mode, look down and push a button. Doesn’t sound intuitive.
Paddle shifters are a nice feature. For the MMe, someone said there is a toggle button on the end of the turn-signal-stalk to change drive modes. If there is, you can set 1-pedal on for ‘Unbridled’ mode and toggle to it when you want (1-pedal setting can be on-or-off for each drive mode). Not the same as paddles changing regen strength, but still accessible without the screen.

And as a manual-transmission driver, you know you take only one hand off the wheel to change gears, and you don’t have to look down. The dial is right within reach like a shifter (joystick) would be. The Instrument Panel shows what gear you are in. Being you would only use (L) on steep grades, it is a limited frequency we are talking about.

In the end. It is all personal preference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are right. We have 3 cars at home : one manual, one automatic, one joystick+paddles. I can drive all of them without thinking. But mostly i try to use the steering wheel-paddles on the manual transmission car to shift regen ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts