Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start thinking negatively about the Mach-E and jinx things, but now that we've seen the Mach-E and know the specs and features is there anything that Ford could do that would make you cancel your Mach-E order and purchase something else?

The only thing that would make me seriously consider it is if the range is worse than advertised. I've see the articles about the Porsche Taycan's EPA range being significantly lower than expected and I hope it doesn't happen to the Mach-E.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it would be delays with the release date which gives me more time to evaluate the Model Y which will be a strong competitor and learn more about other EV's about to be released. If they can't get this released on time I would start to worry about the overall quality and if there are hidden issues. I hope the actual MSRP pricing will be a bit lower to give the Mach E a nice head start over the Y and assure people they are making the right decision. It is a worry to be an early adopter with anything but it could also work out better than expected.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it would be delays with the release date which gives me more time to evaluate the Model Y which will be a strong competitor and learn more about other EV's about to be released. If they can't get this released on time I would start to worry about the overall quality and if there are hidden issues. I hope the actual MSRP pricing will be a bit lower to give the Mach E a nice head start over the Y and assure people they are making the right decision. It is a worry to be an early adopter with anything but it could also work out better than expected.
I agree that delays could be key. It's not just Tesla though - it's VW, Volvo, and anyone else that will be have BEV's in the $50-60k price range shortly after the Mach-E.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree that delays could be key. It's not just Tesla though - it's VW, Volvo, and anyone else that will be have BEV's in the $50-60k price range shortly after the Mach-E.
That's the key thing, the EV market is getting more and more crowded every day, the margin of error for Ford or Tesla is getting smaller. VW in particular is really ramping things up for their EVs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Model Y is less expensive than the Mach E and has better performance. But I'd still keep my Mach E reservation. But, if the Model Y also turns out to have greater range, I might be tempted to switch.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Model Y is less expensive than the Mach E and has better performance. But I'd still keep my Mach E reservation. But, if the Model Y also turns out to have greater range, I might be tempted to switch.
That's going to be a big comparison to see how each of them do in real-world testing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My biggest issue with the Model Y is its ugly. I dont think I could pull that trigger and make the switch. For me, the style of the ride is just as important as the quality and performance. That being said, if the Model S were comparatively priced and offered the performance of the Y, I would jump ship pretty quick. I dont think the S is better looking than the Mach-E but its not ugly and a lot better looking than the Y.

Shallow body shaming rant over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I read this thread I see the Model Y comes up frequently. As a Model 3 owner I would not by Model Y over the Mach-E purely for build-quality issues such as dash and console rattles, window seals leaking air, second set of taillights still get water in them, steering column stopped working and replaced, windshield wipers not working and still waiting for service. I want a car. Ford makes cars. Tesla makes software and batteries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My brother's Model S is 6 1/2 years old and has required only one relatively minor repair in that time. I think Tesla knows how to build reliable cars, but the big ramp up in production rates has seriously affected their quality and their ability to service the cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered the VW ID.3 but did cancel, because it is a hard plastic dessert and it was not that big in person as advertised (Passat size). So a bad quality would let me reconsider.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If they "cheap charlie" the interior with a lot of hard plastic. The European competition does well with interiors and Detroit does not, unless it's a high-dollar nameplate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would cancel because of a long delay. The mileage will be there as they state. It all depends on how
you drive and how you charge. I had a Tesla 2010 Roadster and learned much about mileage and charging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As I read this thread I see the Model Y comes up frequently. As a Model 3 owner I would not by Model Y over the Mach-E purely for build-quality issues such as dash and console rattles, window seals leaking air, second set of taillights still get water in them, steering column stopped working and replaced, windshield wipers not working and still waiting for service. I want a car. Ford makes cars. Tesla makes software and batteries.
Glad I'm not the only one with a model 3 and can see right through Tesla. I love my car, but the rattles are driving me nuts and driving to a service center two hours away is getting old. I don't think Tesla will do so hot if ford seriously markets and pushes this car and the charging network. Right now is the time to buy Ford stock in my opinion, the next several years are going to be a home run for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
this type of feedback is super helpful for those of us on the fence. it's not easy to not be swept up by the hype.

musk is clearly a genius, but at least part of it is marketing genius too. setting up a referral program where singing the car/companies praises earns you free charging or discounts on a roadster, etc. really creates a cult of evangelists. so it's useful to get honest feedback about the realities (amazing battery/tech but horribly inconsistent build quality).

hoping for a decent amount of tech and build quality with the mach-e!

Glad I'm not the only one with a model 3 and can see right through Tesla. I love my car, but the rattles are driving me nuts and driving to a service center two hours away is getting old. I don't think Tesla will do so hot if ford seriously markets and pushes this car and the charging network. Right now is the time to buy Ford stock in my opinion, the next several years are going to be a home run for them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not a lot at this point for me. Tesla is out for me. Model Y is UGLY .. seriously ugly. Model 3 is ok but I have to drive 6 hours to Test drive or even sit in one. It's also 6 hours to the closest service center. That's a no go for me.

So my reasons are:
1. Dealer changing tunes and trying to add a markup. MSRP or walk for me, I don't need it that bad
2. Dealer requiring a large non-refundable deposit or making the order contract non-cancellable especially if they require it before a test drive.
3. Specs don't meet what is currently advertised
4. Build quality is poorer than expected (I expect it to be as good or better than my Taurus SHO, which is above average but not elite quality)
5. Something that doesn't exist right now gets announced that is better and gets a release date similar to the Mach-E

Thankfully I'm friends with the sales manager at my ordering dealer, so hopefully 1 and 2 wont be an issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this type of feedback is super helpful for those of us on the fence. it's not easy to not be swept up by the hype.

musk is clearly a genius, but at least part of it is marketing genius too. setting up a referral program where singing the car/companies praises earns you free charging or discounts on a roadster, etc. really creates a cult of evangelists. so it's useful to get honest feedback about the realities (amazing battery/tech but horribly inconsistent build quality).

hoping for a decent amount of tech and build quality with the mach-e!
That he is. The difference is, What will happen when people drive 20 minutes to their nearest ford dealership to try the Mach E and it gives them the same level of WOW a Tesla does? Those people aren't going to go to tesla, not for more money, I don't believe anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would drop out once I examine and drive one if those experiences were disappointing. In-person quality assessment of fit/finish/materials, comfort, space, as well as driving dynamics. Also, would probably drop out if it turns out the rear interior door handles really are electronic only and have no mechanical override as do the front interior door handles. That would be a safety concern for me. Alternatives still in the running include Polestar 2 and BMW iX3.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts