Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MME FE E4X, Carbonized Gray Matallic, AWD
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha MME Ohana (Family)

I need your help. I’m about to do several modifications to my MME; first up is the wheels.

I’m trying to decide if I should powder coat, or paint my wheels (gloss black for both processes). Price isn’t a factor as both processes will cost the same. Noa, at Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Manufacturing of Oahu, quoted me $129 (2 coats) and an additional $60 to add a clear coat: total $189/wheel. Katie, at Alloy Wheel Repair of Oahu, quoted me $189.00/wheel which includes 2 coats of paint and clear coat. Katie said that they will only paint the face and pockets of the wheel as the barrel is already gloss black which they will match.

You are probably saying that this is a no brainer; go with the powder! Well let me give the “Paul Harvey” for you younger guys, let me give you the rest of the story.

If I go with the Alloy paint option all I have to do is drop off my car and pick it up the next day. The powder process for the Mekala process is more intense. First, they are on about an 18-day wait and they want the wheels in their shop. I understand why this is good for them, but it’s very bad for me. I will have to jack up my car and place on jack stands, remove the tires/wheels, take all four to a tire shop to separate the tires, take the wheels to Mekala, and repeat in reverse after I pick-up my wheels.

Is the juice (powder coat) worth the squeeze (hassle)? I take very good care of my vehicles; I’m not concerned that I will damage the wheels while washing. I want to get a good 10 years; do you think that painting will hold up? Please share your advice! Mahalo (Thank You)! 🤙🏾

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had mine powdercoated and the other option was a vinyl wrap but the powder coating will have a much more durable, permanent finish. The powdercoat can be done in a day and the shop should unmount and remount the tires and make sure they are balanced. I paid $650 for mine.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Aloha MME Ohana (Family)

I need your help. I’m about to do several modifications to my MME; first up is the wheels.

I’m trying to decide if I should powder coat, or paint my wheels (gloss black for both processes). Price isn’t a factor as both processes will cost the same. Noa, at Mekala Powdercoat & Patio Manufacturing of Oahu, quoted me $129 (2 coats) and an additional $60 to add a clear coat: total $189/wheel. Katie, at Alloy Wheel Repair of Oahu, quoted me $189.00/wheel which includes 2 coats of paint and clear coat. Katie said that they will only paint the face and pockets of the wheel as the barrel is already gloss black which they will match.

You are probably saying that this is a no brainer; go with the powder! Well let me give the “Paul Harvey” for you younger guys, let me give you the rest of the story.

If I go with the Alloy paint option all I have to do is drop off my car and pick it up the next day. The powder process for the Mekala process is more intense. First, they are on about an 18-day wait and they want the wheels in their shop. I understand why this is good for them, but it’s very bad for me. I will have to jack up my car and place on jack stands, remove the tires/wheels, take all four to a tire shop to separate the tires, take the wheels to Mekala, and repeat in reverse after I pick-up my wheels.

Is the juice (powder coat) worth the squeeze (hassle)? I take very good care of my vehicles; I’m not concerned that I will damage the wheels while washing. I want to get a good 10 years; do you think that painting will hold up? Please share your advice! Mahalo (Thank You)! 🤙🏾
I'd find another shop, no one has the need to keep your wheels hostage for 18 days while it waits to be done. Locally we have a shop here that does loads of custom work and they can do powder coating and I can have the car back in a couple days.

Powder coat finish all day long.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The powdercoat can be done in a day and the shop should unmount and remount the tires and make sure they are balanced.
Aloha, I agree that it's a one day job. My problem is that the best shop on the Island wants the wheels in his shop giving him the ability to optimize his work flow and manage his resources. He told me that he doesn't remove the tires nor balance. I'm going to check with another company, but suspect they will have similar procedures. After 20 years of living in Hawaii, I have come to accept the fact that things are done differently here. I'm cool with that most of the time. My hesitation here is the time my MME would be on jack stands in my garage (about 18 days). I looked under the car for the lift points and didn't see any that I could recognize. I don't want to be the guy posting pictures on where not to position the jack. I really want powder coating, but I DON'T want this to end up badly. 🤙🏾

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd find another shop, no one has the need to keep your wheels hostage for 18 days while it waits to be done. Locally we have a shop here that does loads of custom work and they can do powder coating and I can have the car back in a couple days.

Powder coat finish all day long.
Aloha, Hawaii is a great place to live, but sometimes you have to just accept that things are done differently here. I will continue to search for a shop that can do the complete job in a day or over night. 🤙🏾

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aloha, I agree that it's a one day job. My problem is that the best shop on the Island wants the wheels in his shop giving him the ability to optimize his work flow and manage his resources. He told me that he doesn't remove the tires nor balance. I'm going to check with another company, but suspect they will have similar procedures. After 20 years of living in Hawaii, I have come to accept the fact that things are done differently here. I'm cool with that most of the time. My hesitation here is the time my MME would be on jack stands in my garage (about 18 days). I looked under the car for the lift points and didn't see any that I could recognize. I don't want to be the guy posting pictures on where not to position the jack. I really want powder coating, but I DON'T want this to end up badly. 🤙🏾
I would not want to have the car on jackstands for 18 days, that seems extreme and I am sure there are other companies out there that would take the wheels off and have them back in a day. Lots of industries do powdercoating so check places other than wheel shops.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not want to have the car on jackstands for 18 days, that seems extreme and I am sure there are other companies out there that would take the wheels off and have them back in a day. Lots of industries do powdercoating so check places other than wheel shops.
Aloha Jayally, Thanks for the assist! I had given up and was going to settle on the paint option. I rediscovered Yelp and found a shop that does it all and at the same price! This shop even has a better Yelp rating than the paint shop. I have an appointment on June 7th to get my gloss black powder coating; process scheduled to take 5 days. 🤙🏾

·
Registered
184 Posts
Aloha Jayally, Thanks for the assist! I had given up and was going to settle on the paint option. I rediscovered Yelp and found a shop that does it all and at the same price! This shop even has a better Yelp rating than the paint shop. I have an appointment on June 7th to get my gloss black powder coating; process scheduled to take 5 days. 🤙🏾
I found mine through Yelp too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts