Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered my mme this past weekend, I live in an apartment complex and there is no way to charge here. The closest charging place is 1.5 miles away, it's a 6.2kw charger, I don't know how long, or fast it will charge its like $1.25 an hour, im trying to figure out if it's worth it or not im kinda worried, also there is no place to charge at my work, so I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. I would greatly appreciate yalls opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
How to calculate charging time yourself?
  1. Divide the load power by 1,000 for a value in kilowatts.
    For example: 3,680 W = 3.7 kilowatts
  2. Divide the power of your battery (also in kW) by the figure obtained to get the charging time.
    For example: 24 kW/ 3.7 kW= 6.5 hours
  3. First calculate your load power (P), by multiplying the voltage (U in volts) by the current (I, in amps). You get a value in watts.
    P = U x I
    For example: 16 A x 230 V = 3,680 W

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much with all that being said it would take 15 hours and 30 minutes to fully charge 😬

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thank you so much with all that being said it would take 15 hours and 30 minutes to fully charge 😬
That is what I think unless you can find a 150 Kwh fast charger which would only take 40 mins. At $1.25 an hour it won't be too expensive but could you leave it plugged in for 15 hours and how often would you need to top off? Is there somewhere else that has a fast charger even if its a little further? My husband is an apartment manager and one of his residents run an extension cord from an outlet to charge.

·
Registered
MME, Infinite Blue, Premium, RWD, ER.
188 Posts
Yep, something like that. So for a top-up that station might work. Depending on how much you drive you’d probably be better of finding a super-charger nearby at at least 50kW, preferably 150kW to do most of your charging.
Are you familiar with the app PlugShare? It excellent for finding stations nearby. Also free ones ;)

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
173 Posts
You should not be regularly DC fast charging. You need to find reliable level 2 charging at parks or parking decks using something like plugshare. With time hopefully more charging becomes regularly available. Use public transportation to be able to leave your car charging while you go do other things. Also do not use an extension cord to charge your car. Most are not rated for charging evs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts