Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking to get either the Mach-E California Edition or Model Y long range. With each having 300 mi range, it's hard to decide which I would want. Here are my thoughts to the advantages of both right now:

Mach-E
  • Price with tax credit is about $3k less than Model-Y
  • There's a Ford dealer in my town (though the Tesla dealer is only 45 minutes away)
  • There seems to be a lot of anti-Tesla sentiment out there, though not sure if that's overblown with sentry mode being able to post more videos
  • Repairs will probably be quicker and cheaper
Model Y
  • They are established as THE electric car manufacturer. Though they had some growing pains, I think I would trust an electric car from Tesla with 10+ years vs Ford's first serious electric entry
  • Supercharging network: both speed of charging and availability. I don't plan on taking a lot of road trips, but I don't want the stress of driving with my family to find EA chargers broken and run out of juice
  • OA updates, not sure if Ford has the same plans as Tesla with all of the added features. This one may be a tie.
  • Dealer experience. Again, not sure Ford's plan but I've heard the Tesla buying experience is amazing. I've heard the stories of dealer major markups for the Niro EV and Kona EV. We'll see whether or not Ford follows suit.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Model Y but I'd love to hear others thoughts if those are your choices. I'd love the Niro EV but I live in the Midwest and I don't see them coming out here any time soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Disclaimer: I own a Model 3 long rang all wheel drive.
Download the PlugShare app and look for chargers and check the pricing. Tesla Superchargers have been absolutely reliable and the least expensive option of even level 2 chargers in my area. I home charge now, after the curiosity of the testing of superchargers and public charging wore off. If you "need" public charging at top speed, get the Tesla. I thought I might need Tesla's charging speed (range anxiety). But I don't really "need" it; home charging is good, actually better. My Model 3 gets 44 miles of range per hour of home charging. If the Mach E can get 30 miles of range per hour of home charging, it would not make much of difference when charging over night or for a couple of hours charging after work, before running evening errands.

If you don't need the car now, wait until you can test drive them and check your insurance pricing.
I've only seen the Mach E unveil video, but suspect the Mach E interior may be a nicer place to be.

The Tesla buying experience is not bad, but it is not amazing, other than the fact you can order it online. That 1-day buying experience should not influence a $50K purchase for something you will use for years.

Yes, Tesla is 'the' EV manufacturer. But the Mach E uses the Mustang name. Ford, with all it's might, will NOT let Mach E owners have bad experience for issues that come up.

OA updates are over-rated in my opinion. I've received nothing game changing. I got games installed...I don't care. I got a mysterious 5% power bump installed...If no one told me, I wouldn't notice because it already blows the door off almost all cars. I got Spotify installed...meh, where is CarPlay. I got one-pedal driving installed....it was one pedal driving down to 5mph before; not much of a change. OA updates are nice but did not/will not influence any future EV purchase

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the really good response! I will definitely like to test drive both when they come out, that will probably be the primary determining factor. Like you, I'm planning to do most of my charging at home but just hope that my one or two 300+ mile trips a year wouldn't become overly complicated by an EA network that is allegedly really unreliable. Guess we'll see what happens with it at the release gets closer.

Just wanna make sure if I get the Mach-E that I can get it early enough to get that tax credit!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some states do not have Tesla sales and service centers. Good luck if you live in far rural area with the ranger service. Tesla build quality remains an issue and if you need replacement parts, one could wait several..months! Supercharger sites? All highpowered D/C charged compared the current Electrify America which composes of multiple level 2 charging sites and known issues with malfunctioning units. The upper Midwest is a dead zone for any high powered D/C charging. sites.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was ready to put down a deposit on a Model Y and then I started reading all the customer service horror stories. Tesla is a great car to drive, but the company is just a nightmare to deal with if you need service of any kind. They build and sell cars faster than they can service them, sacrificing build quality and service for volume. The reviews on my local service center are awful.

The Mach E is better looking in my opinion. I think it will drive just as well. The interior is much better (I was able to sit in the GT at the LA Auto show). I trust the Ford dealer network for service. I currently own a BMW i3 and a Chevy Bolt. I have a deposit down on a Mach E. I have cross-shopped the Model Y, the Jaguar iPace, the Mercedes EQC, the VW ID4, the BMW i4, and Audi Q4.

Right now, the Mach E checks every box for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a deposit on the Mach E 2 days ago. I test drove the Model 3 last week. Reasons I prefer the Mach E:

1. It has buttons. It has a driver display. Could not stand the way everything in the Tesla was through touch screen menus.
2. Major tax credits. Not for Tesla. Not even for the model y which is very similar to the Mach E
3. Service. Ford actually has a service network.
4. Looks. The Mach E has a bit of style, unlike the bland Teslas or the even blander Leaf or Kona. (I test drove a Kona and there was NO rear leg room)
5. Charging network. Tesla has one, but so does Ford.
6. Nicer looking interior, from the pictures.

So I will not make a final decision until I actually drive a Mach E, but I am looking forward to owning one. Red, rear drive, extended battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All things considered, servicing and have Ford network is what gets them past the finish line for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm changing my opinion that was made in my prior post in this thread. I have a Model 3 and wished I waiting for the Mach E. The reason is the interior and interior/general build quality. I have software issues, interior rattles/squeak, window seal/door seal issues that have crept up. Maybe it is because of the cold and the issues are minor; but it is still inexcusable for a car in this price bracket. Oh, and buttons are the best way to control common functions in the car because they are tactile, meaning eyes stay on the road. If the Mach E is built as good as a Mustang or Camry, it will be better than my Model 3 and probably the Model Y

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm changing my opinion that was made in my prior post in this thread. I have a Model 3 and wished I waiting for the Mach E. The reason is the interior and interior/general build quality. I have software issues, interior rattles/squeak, window seal/door seal issues that have crept up. Maybe it is because of the cold and the issues are minor; but it is still inexcusable for a car in this price bracket. Oh, and buttons are the best way to control common functions in the car because they are tactile, meaning eyes stay on the road. If the Mach E is built as good as a Mustang or Camry, it will be better than my Model 3 and probably the Model Y
You should have no problem selling it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts