• No

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an official statement on Mustang Mach-E reservations, Ford mentioned that "About 55 percent are opting for all-wheel drive."

How many here opted for it? I'm curious to see how the numbers here compare to Ford's

·
Registered
275 Posts
I reserved RWD ER for maximum range. But have since changed my mind and plan to flip that to AWD SR when actually ordering.

I realized that (like pretty much all BEVs) it just requires too much compromise to take a BEV on a long 75 MPH road trip. So I'll just make it the around-home car (<150 miles/day). In which case range won't matter (210 miles is sufficient). And since it doesn't matter, I'll go ahead and get the AWD. (And save $5000 by not getting the ER battery.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I reserved RWD ER for maximum range. But have since changed my mind and plan to flip that to AWD SR when actually ordering.

I realized that (like pretty much all BEVs) it just requires too much compromise to take a BEV on a long 75 MPH road trip. So I'll just make it the around-home car (<150 miles/day). In which case range won't matter (210 miles is sufficient). And since it doesn't matter, I'll go ahead and get the AWD. (And save $5000 by not getting the ER battery.)
If I were in a two-car household this would be my choice as well. However, the Mach-E AWD ER is going to be the only vehicle thus, range is king. Seattle is hilly with slick roads from all the rain which makes AWD great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If I were in a two-car household this would be my choice as well. However, the Mach-E AWD ER is going to be the only vehicle thus, range is king. Seattle is hilly with slick roads from all the rain which makes AWD great.
I'm north of Denver where we get a little snow and ice (although not as much as our reputation suggests). So AWD would normally have been a given. I only went RWD on the initial reservation to squeak out the extra 10% range for long road trips. Now I realize that just doesn't work well on the 800 mile trips I'd want it for. Even if I didn't own a 2nd (ICE) vehicle, I'd considering renting a car for such long trips.

But of course that all depends on how often and how far one drives. If I did occasional 200-400 mile trips, I'd get the ER. But if I did 400+ mile drives very often, I might be looking more at ICE or PHEV.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We drive 200 miles a day 4-5 days a week. AWD and have zero issue about charging. I have looked throughout the west and charging is not an issue. It just means planning differently and being organized. By 2022 my wife and I will be driving nothing but electric. It is the future and we have decided to embrace it 100%.

·
Registered
275 Posts
200 miles/day is probably doable on a single overnight L2 charge in the Mach-e AWD ER, as long as lots of it wasn't at high speed (~75) which shrinks that down. Supposed to be 270 miles of range in that configuration. Borderline without the ER though (210 mile range). Of course, those are just Ford's computer estimates, for whatever they're worth. But if I drove that much a day, I'd get the ER without question.

Our house will be one BEV + one ICE. One city car and one anything car. But most of the miles will go on the Mach-e.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in for the AWD here. I think I spun out my RWD Mustang too many times as a teenager. Better driver now but still plan on this being my every day car even during the winter. I also opted for the long range version. I certainly don't need the longer range 90% of the times, but having a Nissan Leaf I know how terrible winter/rain/speed is on range. As that 210 potentially dropped down to 150 or less on some days, I'd rather have the breathing room.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think a factor to the higher volume of AWD versions might be due to the Mach-E being a family vehicle. Of course, there are many others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm near Atlanta so I don't really need AWD, but I chose it anyway due to the extra torque & power. Also my employer has a quite a few locations in Indiana and Illinois, and I could always find myself getting transferred back up there where AWD is much more useful. I'm not worried about range - we'll still have both an F150 and a diesel wagon for long trips.

·
Read Only
61 Posts
I'm in for the AWD here. I think I spun out my RWD Mustang too many times as a teenager. Better driver now but still plan on this being my every day car even during the winter. I also opted for the long range version. I certainly don't need the longer range 90% of the times, but having a Nissan Leaf I know how terrible winter/rain/speed is on range. As that 210 potentially dropped down to 150 or less on some days, I'd rather have the breathing room.
I am going going with the AWD/ER GT. We only have about a week with snow or ice in Anacortes, WA but it can happen when you don't expect it and every hill turns into a mountain. I had my worst winter experience driving my '69 Mach 1 across the entire length of North Dakota towing a double snowmobile trailer on glare ice. I had always thought of the Dakotas as being flat but glare ice changed that.

·
Super Moderator
976 Posts
I live in Northern NJ. reserved the AWD Extended. I had two RWD cars in the past and they were no fun in the snow. traction control can only do so much.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have AWD and regardless of weather I love it. It is all I will ever drive. It is better handling then any other form of driving even in perfect weather.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
200 Posts
I am ordering AWD, and extended range. I won't drive anything but with our winters here in OH, and I want the range for longer drives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
AWD was one of the big selling points in the MME. I'm still bummed Hyundai only has FWD in the eKona. I've ordered a Grabber Blue FE, so its an E4X.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like I’m in the minority having reserved the RWD but got the ER battery. I want range overall bc while I live in the Atlanta area, I drive ~34 miles one way to work and I go down to FL several times a year to see family. I’m hoping that the selection I chose will be okay, but it sounds like most who’ve commented don’t seem to have positive observations about RWD.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
881 Posts
It’s a great option if you’re looking for a little less power, longer range and RWD. The CA Route 1 was set up that way expecting people to want it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in Ventura California and reserved a AWD extended range. I liked the change from RWD to FWD, now I'm looking forward to AWD.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Apparently 90% of orders in Canada are coming with all-wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts