Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And besides the obvious joke of cling wrap, what would those be?
I would leave the body wrap to the pros and just do the Ceramic coating. Many reviews on youtube for a crazy number of products. It will require some elbow grease (expect to spend an entire day) and an environment out of direct sunlight (garage).

For $35

For $105

You'll also want to wash thoroughly and do a clay bar treatment.

I'll spend the extra $ as the pros will do paint correction prior to applying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
And besides the obvious joke of cling wrap, what would those be?
I've personally used Avalon King's Armor Shield IX.

The work is primarily in the preparation of the car surface as everything gets sealed in, for better or worse.. It needs to be immaculately clean washed, bugs removed, bird droppings gone, clayed smooth, polished until all swirl marks and defects are minimized or gone then cleaned with an isopropyl alcohol and distilled water spray before applying the Armor Shield9. The product itself wasn't terribly hard to use and you'd be surprised just how little is needed and how fast you should wipe it off.

I'm not sure whether I'll use this on the MME, whenever it arrives, or go with a professional coating from one of the higher quality shops here. But we are about to use it on the 2020 Raptor.

·
Registered
MME First Edition Rapid Red
220 Posts
Can someone please explain what "paint correction" is? Should paint need to be corrected on a brand new vehicle?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've never done ceramic coating or ppf before but I've started doing some research. Aside from XPEL and Avalon King Armor Shield IX are there any other brands people recommend?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,229 Posts
My plan is full front end or at least most of it, perhaps wheel lips and the rear panel. Basically, the plastic parts. I've been amazed how many cuts we have in the plastic parts on our Leaf, even in back. It has some sort of PPF applied to those parts already -- apparently from the manufacturer. I may also have the B and C pillars done, too -- where the combination lock pads are located. The road show vehicles are scratching a lot there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used Adam's Polish Ceramic Coating and am very happy with the result. After a claybar/wash took about 90 minutes to install on Infinite Blue. This is my third vehicle using this product and I highly recommend. Just follow the directions exactly and you should have no issues and an easy to clean finish.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used Adam's Polish Ceramic Coating and am very happy with the result. After a claybar/wash took about 90 minutes to install on Infinite Blue. This is my third vehicle using this product and I highly recommend. Just follow the directions exactly and you should have no issues and an easy to clean finish.
Could you post some pics?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've personally used Avalon King's Armor Shield IX.

The work is primarily in the preparation of the car surface as everything gets sealed in, for better or worse.. It needs to be immaculately clean washed, bugs removed, bird droppings gone, clayed smooth, polished until all swirl marks and defects are minimized or gone then cleaned with an isopropyl alcohol and distilled water spray before applying the Armor Shield9. The product itself wasn't terribly hard to use and you'd be surprised just how little is needed and how fast you should wipe it off.

I'm not sure whether I'll use this on the MME, whenever it arrives, or go with a professional coating from one of the higher quality shops here. But we are about to use it on the 2020 Raptor.
How did it turn out on your Raptor? I'm thinking of going with the Armor Shield IX.
What's your thinking of going with a professional shop? It lasts longer or they have a better product?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sure thing. Here you go!
Looks great! How long has it lasted on your other vehicles.
I think I'll go with Avalon King Armor Shield IX as it has some better reviews with it. I was quoted $1200 for a place near me to do ceramic coating, even if it doesn't last as long as the pro job, I can do the coating myself once a year and do it for 10 years at that cost. I'm a little OCD and meticulous when doing something like this as well so I've already watched a bunch of Youtube videos of prepping and applying. I'll go slow as well in order to do it right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's nice work... If the weather were to be better when I take delivery I might attempt it but I can't see doing this in late Feb/early Mar in my upstate NY driveway.
I'm in NJ. ETA is first week of March, so possibly around 50. I'm going to wash outside and bring it into the garage to do the ceramic. At least that's the plan.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the forum @R7206! That ceramic coating looks incredible. Is this the one you used?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks great! How long has it lasted on your other vehicles.
I think I'll go with Avalon King Armor Shield IX as it has some better reviews with it. I was quoted $1200 for a place near me to do ceramic coating, even if it doesn't last as long as the pro job, I can do the coating myself once a year and do it for 10 years at that cost. I'm a little OCD and meticulous when doing something like this as well so I've already watched a bunch of Youtube videos of prepping and applying. I'll go slow as well in order to do it right.
This is the third vehicle I have done and the others I traded in at about 2.5-3 years. I never had to do a second coat on the other two vehicles. I did use their ceramic "boost" (much like a detail spray) every other wash or so. All of my washes were by hand, no machine car washes.

Their full kit is ~$100 and after a good wash, it takes about 90 minutes to complete the full exterior (I didn't do my wheels, but you can do them) with one person. The only thing that doesn't come with the kit that I have used is the clay mitt. That helps remove any oxidation from shipping/storage and is far easier than a clay bar job with similar results. Adam's has several YouTube videos on how to do this step by step that are very helpful and their customer service team can help you out too if you need it.

Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum @R7206! That ceramic coating looks incredible. Is this the one you used?

I didn't use that one because it wasn't out when I bought the kit. I did two cars with the one kit I bought a few years ago and at the time that product wasn't out yet. It was just the straight Adam's Ceramic Kit. The contents and pricing seem to be about the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in NJ. ETA is first week of March, so possibly around 50. I'm going to wash outside and bring it into the garage to do the ceramic. At least that's the plan.
All you need is really GOOD light! It really helps in identifying the area you completed and when the product starts to streak/rainbow which indicates it is time to wipe down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats!
We have an Infinite Blue? color thread that these would be great in.

Has anyone here applied PPF or ceramic coating to anything other than painted areas of the body?
I know some people that get ceramic on the windshield and PPF on the headlights/tail lights.
I did ALL exterior surfaces (windows, windshields, and roof) with the exception of the wheels.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts