Ford Mustang Mach-E -- News & Community Group, Join ... banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't realize that despite so many carmakers making the move towards electric vehicles, EV sales in the US were down in 2019 compared to 2018.

Despite the debut of 45 pure electric and plug-in hybrids in the United States last year, only 325,000 plug-in passenger vehicles were sold, down 6.8% from 349,000 in 2018, according to Edmunds. That is just 2% of the 17 million vehicles of all types sold in the United States in 2019. Numbers for California aren’t available yet, but 112,961 EVs were sold in the first three quarters of 2019, up only 5.6% from the year-earlier period.

In my opinion this makes 2020 a very interesting year to monitor sales and see if they bounce back. I think it's going to happen given how quickly Ford received orders for the Mach-E and the buzz around around other EVs from Tesla, Rivian, Porsche, and VW.

Do you guys think that will happen?

According to a report released this month from Boston Consulting Group, electrified vehicles — which stand at about 8 percent of global sales — will account for a third of sales by 2025. The report also says that EV sales are expected to surpass internal-combustion-engine vehicle sales by 2030, taking 51 percent of the market.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are 2 main factors driving the rate of EV adoption, IMHO: FUD about "where will I charge it", and the premium price over ICE. Until carmakers other than Tesla ramp up the education/marketing spin, the FUD over charging will be a major problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There needs to be a clearer understanding about the cost to charge and where you can go. All of these different companies have different plugs and different prices and policies and they need to somehow come together to make it easier because it's confusing for most people and a big put off when considering an electric vehicle. Tesla has done a great job of having their charging stations be very prominent and cost efficient. Fortunately for me I have a garage with a 240 outlet and I don't do a lot of driving and when we do there is another ICE vehicle that we usually take places but that may change with a new car. I am concerned about how far I'll be able to go on a charge without changing my somewhat aggressive driving habits and still using my air conditioning and heating as I do now. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There needs to be a clearer understanding about the cost to charge and where you can go. All of these different companies have different plugs and different prices and policies and they need to somehow come together to make it easier because it's confusing for most people and a big put off when considering an electric vehicle. Tesla has done a great job of having their charging stations be very prominent and cost efficient. Fortunately for me I have a garage with a 240 outlet and I don't do a lot of driving and when we do there is another ICE vehicle that we usually take places but that may change with a new car. I am concerned about how far I'll be able to go on a charge without changing my somewhat aggressive driving habits and still using my air conditioning and heating as I do now. :)
Since you brought up different cables that is not accurate. If in the USA the standard which all car makers use except Tesla is the J1772. That is the standard charge cable for all EVs. Tesla has their own proprietary cable but gives you and adapter for all the other public charging station that use the normal cable type J1772.
If considering about range anxiety obviously more range is better so get a car with the most range you can afford. That can be the base or the 300 mile one that is up to you and your situation.

as for charging I do not own a home and will need to rely on public stations unless mother in law will let me put a plug in her home. So I will need to charge at the EA stations or the EVGo stations or other public stations like chargepoint

·
Registered
175 Posts
...as for charging I do not own a home and will need to rely on public stations unless mother in law will let me put a plug in her home. So I will need to charge at the EA stations or the EVGo stations or other public stations like chargepoint
Hmmm, you really should get home charging sorted out before you buy an EV. The economics and inconvenience of having to exclusively use public charging does not make owning an EV practical.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmmm, you really should get home charging sorted out before you buy an EV. The economics and inconvenience of having to exclusively use public charging does not make owning an EV practical.
yes I know but with 2 years until I can get one but will be installing one before I buy electric car. My need is not that demanding as I walk to work since live just down street from campus. And we have ev charging their with 4 hour limit and down street at mall have charging stations as well. These are all pay stations but will work for me I do believe. Also since I live .5 mile from work I can just leave my car plugged in normal outlet as well so I do have options

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also on top of that, some car companies have charging discounts with certain providers. I heard Porsche has that in Europe with a company called Ionity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts