Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With less than 6 inches of ground clearance, will it feel like I am riding in a sedan versus sitting up higher and having easier in and out access?

·
Registered
600 Posts
From my visual observation, ground clearance of the Mach-E reminds me of the BMW X3 and others like it.

Won't be surprised if specs are similar.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Since the dimensions are moderately close to an escape, I suggest going and sitting in one of those to get an idea until the demos arrive at dealerships in the late fall.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I think you'll feel like it's an SUV. 6 inches of ground clearance is decent. It's not Jeep Wrangler, but I think it's pretty much the height of every other new vehicle out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think you'll feel like it's an SUV. 6 inches of ground clearance is decent. It's not Jeep Wrangler, but I think it's pretty much the height of every other new vehicle out there.
6" (actually 5.7") is awfully short. That's ICE sedan territory. In fact it's the exact same GC as a Honda Accord. And less than a Toyota Camry (6.3").

The difference is the batteries in the undercarriage raising the floor and seats up. It appears to be pretty standard compact crossover seat height. Based on measuring from the top down (vehicle height minus headroom), I estimate the driver seat height at about 1" lower than the Escape.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Good point on that. Although I think what he was really asking was less about what it could go over and more about how high you'll sit. I just checked and it looks like it's roof height is 63 inches compared to 68.6 on an Escape. So it's about 5.5 -inches lower overall than an Escape, but also 8.5-inches higher than a Mustang coupe.
Honda Accord, for reference has a height of 57.1 inches.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure why I didn't think of this before: the max height of the car is 63", and the listed front passenger headroom with the glass roof is 40.5". Adding a fudge factor of a couple of inches for thickness of glass/location of measurement and you can expect to be sitting roughly 18-22 inches off the ground depending upon how much the seat moves and imprecise measurements).

Putting that in perspective, the 2020 escape has a vehicle height without roof rack of 66.5", and headroom of 40". Since that headroom has to include at least 2-3 inches of roof thickness, the escape's seat is roughly 21-25 inches off the ground.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Good point on that. Although I think what he was really asking was less about what it could go over and more about how high you'll sit. I just checked and it looks like it's roof height is 63 inches compared to 68.6 on an Escape. So it's about 5.5 -inches lower overall than an Escape, but also 8.5-inches higher than a Mustang coupe.
Honda Accord, for reference has a height of 57.1 inches.
Agreed on really getting at the driver seat height (which was my concern too).

The Escape (2013-2019 version) is 66.3" tall (not counting roof rails). But it's peak is behind the driver seat. If you look at the profile, it's roughly 1-2" lower than that above the driver's head. I tried to measure my 2013 and while it's hard to get an exact measurement, I estimate it at 65" at that position. Roof thickness is roughly 2". Front headroom 39.9. So driver seat height is roughly 23".

Mach-e peak height of 63 appears to be directly over the driver seat. The glass roof can't be more than 1/2", and it's flush to the outer roof. Front headroom with glass roof is listed at 40.5. Which should put the driver seat at roughly 22". (1" lower than the Escape.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not sure why I didn't think of this before: the max height of the car is 63", and the listed front passenger headroom with the glass roof is 40.5". Adding a fudge factor of a couple of inches for thickness of glass/location of measurement and you can expect to be sitting roughly 18-22 inches off the ground depending upon how much the seat moves and imprecise measurements).

Putting that in perspective, the 2020 escape has a vehicle height without roof rack of 66.5", and headroom of 40". Since that headroom has to include at least 2-3 inches of roof thickness, the escape's seat is roughly 21-25 inches off the ground.
I did that analysis in a few other threads a couple of weeks ago. Seat height is one of my biggest criteria (not sitting low and having to crawl down into and out of the vehicle). While I still want to see it confirmed in person, I feel fairly confident that the driver seat height is only about 1" shorter than the (2013-2019) Escape crossover.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good advice on this topic. Just wondering if a new vehicle measurement needs to be considered. (Measure how far above a flat surface is the the middle of driver’s front seat that has been moved to its highest setting and lowest setting.) Eye height is obviously impacted by the driver’s height including the length of the body above the waist and the range of seat height settings in the vehicle.

·
Read Only
61 Posts
I have the driving eye height concern also. I have been checking the height of other crossovers and small-mid SUV's I see on the road and comparing to the Mach-E. In 1974 I bought a Volvo 164E and I noticed that even though that tall Volvo sedan was only 3" higher than the other 70's sedans the visibility was remarkably better. Fast forward to today when more than half of the passenger vehicles are SUV's or crossovers the Mach-E falls somewhere in the middle of the height range of these vehicles. Until I can sit in and drive a Mach-E I really will not know how it feels to drive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another oft-overlooked factor in vehicle height is the headlights. The higher the headlights sit, the better they tend to light up the road and improve visibility.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point...I have looked at a bunch of You Tube videos and none of them commented about eye height and ride height. LIkewise, not one reviewer showed whether a driver would sort of slide across in the cabin or whether they would sink down low as is down in many a European sedan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New member here... I was about to place a pre-order and started thinking about the same thing. Now that I'm in my 50's, I don't like to sit in a low riding vehicle anymore. Traded my '16 Mustang GT for a Raptor- went quite the other way! Now thinking about moving from the Raptor to the Mach E (don't really need a big truck and want to try an EV), but the seating position is going to give me pause. Maybe I need to wait until they actually show up at a dealer to try first.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
36 Posts
New member here... I was about to place a pre-order and started thinking about the same thing. Now that I'm in my 50's, I don't like to sit in a low riding vehicle anymore. Traded my '16 Mustang GT for a Raptor- went quite the other way! Now thinking about moving from the Raptor to the Mach E (don't really need a big truck and want to try an EV), but the seating position is going to give me pause. Maybe I need to wait until they actually show up at a dealer to try first.
That's what I'm doing. I expect it will be fine, but why take a chance?

·
Registered
611 Posts
They should be in dealers in the Fall... and that's not all that far away. So might be worth waiting. Also, once the first rush of models goes through you'll likely be able to get one for a better price.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
881 Posts
The Mach E will have about the same ground clearance as current Mustangs (and presumably your '16). However, you'll be sitting on the battery pack. That will raise the seat height a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts