Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
178 Posts
I had the update performed in July before a long family vacation and can only say that the charging curve appears slightly lower the few times I DC fast charged. The max was 125 kW/hr speed for about 15 min the dropped to 110, until about 70% then dropped to about 90 until reaching 80%, then normal drop to 45 kW. I stopped charging at about 85%. The max charge rate at the chargers was 350. At the same charger I watched a New Ionic 5 charging at over 175kW and he was at 75%.

A new Ford Lighting was charging at 135kW when I arrived at one station and I was only able to get up to 124kW at the same chargers and it dropped to 90 at about 60%.

So long story short. I think the software update has resulted in a change in the charging curve. Temperature of car and air was ideal for fast charging. 28’C. Before the update I would get up to 150 to 155kW peak charging rate for at least two to three minutes, then it would drops to about 125 but would stay there much longer then now.

I think the software change resulted in about 10% longer now to DC fast charge. Is it a big deal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think the software change resulted in about 10% longer now to DC fast charge. Is it a big deal?
Yes, it is a big deal. I have been an electrical contractor for over 20 years and also install home automation systems. If I sell a customer a bad batch of dimmer switches, I absolutely have the technology to log into their system and program the lights to not go above 90% or reduce the ramp rate to get to 100%. Is that the proper fix and would it be acceptable? No.

I'm not implying that is what Ford is doing, but without some information on what exactly the software fix is doing we don't know.

Blindly accepting software fixes for hardware failures is a slippery slope.

If a software fix is deemed 100% safe but leaves the vehicle at a reduced spec than what was purchased, those that don't see it as a big deal should be incentivized to take the software fix vs having the hardware replaced.

·
Super Moderator
3,032 Posts
I had the update performed in July before a long family vacation and can only say that the charging curve appears slightly lower the few times I DC fast charged. The max was 125 kW/hr speed for about 15 min the dropped to 110, until about 70% then dropped to about 90 until reaching 80%, then normal drop to 45 kW. I stopped charging at about 85%. The max charge rate at the chargers was 350. At the same charger I watched a New Ionic 5 charging at over 175kW and he was at 75%.

A new Ford Lighting was charging at 135kW when I arrived at one station and I was only able to get up to 124kW at the same chargers and it dropped to 90 at about 60%.

So long story short. I think the software update has resulted in a change in the charging curve. Temperature of car and air was ideal for fast charging. 28’C. Before the update I would get up to 150 to 155kW peak charging rate for at least two to three minutes, then it would drops to about 125 but would stay there much longer then now.

Speed of charge has so many variables, it may not have anything to do with the software fix. The battery, charger, and ambient temps. The state-of-charge. Station power load balancing. Station cable-cooling function, etc.
On my recent road trip, I got different speeds each-and-every stop at EA. 163kW best peak, but sometimes the station would only deliver max 75kW.
Haven’t had the need to charge since I received the update, will try once SoC is low enough.

Reactions: DougL

·
Registered
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
178 Posts
Yes, it is a big deal. I have been an electrical contractor for over 20 years and also install home automation systems. If I sell a customer a bad batch of dimmer switches, I absolutely have the technology to log into their system and program the lights to not go above 90% or reduce the ramp rate to get to 100%. Is that the proper fix and would it be acceptable? No.

I'm not implying that is what Ford is doing, but without some information on what exactly the software fix is doing we don't know.

Blindly accepting software fixes for hardware failures is a slippery slope.

If a software fix is deemed 100% safe but leaves the vehicle at a reduced spec than what was purchased, those that don't see it as a big deal should be incentivized to take the software fix vs having the hardware replaced.
Is Ford obligated to inform owners if the software fix changes the charge curve resulting in extending how long DC charging will take? If yes, has anyone asked the question to Ford directly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts