Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Grabber Blue FE
114 Posts
Reason I bailed on my Day 1 Y order. All they care about is volume. No emphasis on fit and finish. God forbid you get in an accident and need body work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Could they improve? Sure.
Will they? I hardly doubt it.

First you have to admit you have a problem and Elon is certainly not going to do that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
There isn't any pressure on Tesla to improve quality right now because mainstream automakers aren't applying much pressure. They've allowed Tesla to define the market and it'll take quite a while to turn that around.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
I’m wondering “where is @patmurphey ?”
Tesla has to improve, they cannot go on too much longer. If not, something critical will eventually get overlooked and someone will get injured.

I can see them shutting down Fremont and revamping the site once Texas and Germany are up and running. Hopefully, the new plants will have better quality control measures in place.

·
Registered
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E
112 Posts
Wait... Is Lincoln not part of Ford? And they score that low?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf, 2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition reserved
1,240 Posts
Reason I bailed on my Day 1 Y order. All they care about is volume. No emphasis on fit and finish. God forbid you get in an accident and need body work.
I know someone whose Tesla was totaled despite it not looking like nearly that much damage.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
I know someone whose Tesla was totaled despite it not looking like nearly that much damage.
I was in a front end collision: I was stopped at light, a car came around a corner, he was texting and plowed into me. He was probably doing no more than 15 mph.

All 7 air bags deployed. On one was the least bit injured. It was a Toyota RAV4. We were going to Thanksgiving. We waited for the tow truck, took our food out of the car, and went to our inlaws in our other car.

To just replace the airbags, the estimate was over $13,000. Then there was the body work and replacement of panels inside the car where the air bags deployed.

Long story short: Car was totaled.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wait... Is Lincoln not part of Ford? And they score that low?
Although I am a Consumers Reports subscriber and reader I sometime get annoyed at their flip flops from good to bad and vice versa. To blacklist a whole brand based on a model launch problem is an example. I try to find out the reason for their change in ratings before I would make any decisions based on them. Certainly Ford had issues with 2 models (and with the corresponding Lincoln versions). So one just has to avoid those models until those issues are resolved. CR rated the new Linc Corsair as 1 for 5 on reliability, but the owner satisfaction is rated as a 5 for 5. Huh? I guess the conclusion is that owners love their unreliable cars. As for my 2017 Linc MKX, it has been flawless in 3-1/2 years. I find that as cars get more reliable overall, the differences between better than average and worse than average are small. Maybe Tesla was never as good as earlier portrayed, but not as bad as being portrayed now. So I look at what CR says but then go make my own decision. The Cuautitlan plant ended Fiesta production nearly a year before MME production began so I hope that gave Ford the time to do a quality startup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Although I am a Consumers Reports subscriber and reader I sometime get annoyed at their flip flops from good to bad and vice versa.
They seem to base their report on the performance of the last year or so. It seems Ford launched a couple of vehicles, which caused them to drop. It's a bit bizarre. Mini is also very low. But in the UK, the magazine What Car? works with the car ownership association MotorEasy to collect data from the drivers, who report whether they had to go in for repairs and if yes, what kind. Because it's not based on the past year only, it's more stable. And Mini, being from the BMW stable, is high up at position 8. Ford is middle class at 14 (out of 31). Tesla is at position 4. See the report for 2019 here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’m wondering “where is @patmurphey ?”
Tesla has to improve, they cannot go on too much longer. If not, something critical will eventually get overlooked and someone will get injured.

I can see them shutting down Fremont and revamping the site once Texas and Germany are up and running. Hopefully, the new plants will have better quality control measures in place.
Right here! They are improving and will improve further. Most of the complaints that led to that low rating were fit and finish, notably on early production Model Ys. No doubt they will phase in improvements at Fremont. They have already started the castings. and they are overdue to upgrade the paint shop. I trust they will be a good choice from Giga Texas (supplying the East) next fall among the Model Y, Mach E, or Q4 Etron when I replace the Q5 that I sold. I await prices, features, and reputations.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts
I was shocked to see that too. Ford didn't fare much better, they fell to 22nd.

View attachment 3193
We have a 2018 Ford Edge Sport and our only problem was with the heated steering wheel which was replaced under Warranty. Before that a 2015 Edge Sport which never saw service except for two oil and filter changes.

Not surprised to see the Edge at the top of the Ford list.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
Explorer got hit hard because of launch production problems. Went from first to last in mere months. Things are much better now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We can go back and forth on this all day. Let's wait and see how Ford does. OEMs screw up, too, look at Volvo's Polestar 2 double recall fiasco or VWs software that had thousands of cars sitting undelivered with features still not implemented. Early fit and finish issues on the Model Y were fixed, albeit as a nuisance to customers rather than shutting down production.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
We can go back and forth on this all day. Let's wait and see how Ford does. OEMs screw up, too, look at Volvo's Polestar 2 double recall fiasco or VWs software that had thousands of cars sitting undelivered with features still not implemented. Early fit and finish issues on the Model Y were fixed, albeit as a nuisance to customers rather than shutting down production.
Why put your customers through something unnecessary and completely avoidable? Especially since the Model Y still had months before its initial announced release date. No justification can excuse it. Glad things are starting to shape up, though.

Good news, Tesla issued two more necessary recalls this week. I expect there will be two more for other outstanding issues in December. With machines that have thousands of parts, its expected that the unknown may happen. When something does, the public expects manufacturers to take ownership. Admission and voluntary recalls sit better on the minds of the public, especially non-Tesla owners who are discouraged by anything but.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts