Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can gain access to the Mach-E using the keypad on the door. You can then enter another code to start the car, without having a key or your cell phone.

Sounds clever, but I'm not sure I'll actually ever use these features. What do you think?

You can see the keypad in action at the video here at 2:27 Video review on the streets of London

·
Registered
2006 Mazda RX-8
87 Posts
This is typical Ford tech for a while now and pretty sure on many (all?) models. I assume few will use it if they have the fob or more likely, their phone.

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
I use this feature when I go to the beach or walking trails. i lock my keyfob inside the vehicle so I don’t damage / lose it. Then I open with the keypad.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I used it all the time on my '98 Explorer. My C-Max only had it as an add-on, so I didn't want to pay extra.

Sometimes I forget my keys on my desk and work and walk out to the parking lot. It'd be nice to be able to just use it, drive the car to the closer temp parking and then grab my keys. However, I suppose I would use it less often now that the cell phone acts as a key. I always have that with me.

I would also use that any time I'm concerned about getting in water and want to leave my phone behind.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I use this feature when I go to the beach or walking trails. i lock my keyfob inside the vehicle so I don’t damage / lose it. Then I open with the keypad.
Good thinking! I was originally thinking I would only ever use the keypad if my phone died or I lost it, but that's a very good case

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the keypad on my Escape frequently. Usual when I go hiking or even when i go to the movies. The less in my pocket the better. Since phone as a key will be included with the Mach-E I’m sure I’ll use it less but I live having it as a back up because you never know what could happen to your phone.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hopefully it isn't a default 1-2-3-4! ?
It has been a 5 digit code on the Sable and Lincoln I've owned. My Sable had that way back in 2001. The code is given to owner on small card when you purchase the car. I think Ford can look it up for you if you prove you own the car. There is a procedure to add an additional code if you want.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
You can gain access to the Mach-E using the keypad on the door. You can then enter another code to start the car, without having a key or your cell phone.

Sounds clever, but I'm not sure I'll actually ever use these features. What do you think?

View attachment 1177

You can see the keypad in action at the video here at 2:27 Video review on the streets of London
I use the keypad all the time on my F-150. Press the bottom two buttons to lock, and I put in a custom code when I buy it. I even change the code every year or so.

But if the phone works, I'm not sure how much I will use it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can't say I've ever used the keypad on the door before. A friend of mine has it on her Lincoln and she uses it all the time.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I can't say I've ever used the keypad on the door before. A friend of mine has it on her Lincoln and she uses it all the time.
I actually think that I am in the minority. I like it, but I don't see a lot of people using the keypad as much as I do, which is often.

That is what makes a horse race... :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
If it keeps me from having to carry a key, I will use it almost exclusively.
You don't have to use a key anyway. You can just use your phone. Keep the phone in your pocket, and the door will unlock when you hit the button. Walk away and the door will lock automatically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You don't have to use a key anyway. You can just use your phone. Keep the phone in your pocket, and the door will unlock when you hit the button. Walk away and the door will lock automatically.
Especially lately, I have gotten out of the habit of carrying a phone everywhere. So if this car will let me enter a code to unlock and then enter another code to drive, without a key or a phone, this feature is perfect. Now, if they will just add a feature to let you completely turn off all of the tracking and connectivity features....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Now, if they will just add a feature to let you completely turn off all of the tracking and connectivity features....
For sure. I like the idea of the in-car camera enabling truly handsfree driving on the highway, and the voice controls are convenient. BUT, I am not really looking forward to the idea that Ford (or anyone with the skills to do so) can capture both audio and video of everything I and all my passengers say and do.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Especially lately, I have gotten out of the habit of carrying a phone everywhere. So if this car will let me enter a code to unlock and then enter another code to drive, without a key or a phone, this feature is perfect. Now, if they will just add a feature to let you completely turn off all of the tracking and connectivity features....
Oh gotcha. So yes, you can put a pin in to enter the vehicle, and a separate pin to start the car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts