Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
I reserved February 2020. Ordered at dealer October 6 (gave dealer my trade-in).

No VIN yet.

Any guesses??
You should contact your dealer directly to get your VIN#, they have better visibility.

I reserved Dec 2019, converted July 2020. Dealer had my VIN in November.
I didn’t have a window sticker until Jan 7. the week before the car hit the Assembly line.
While there are months between my order’s milestones, these lead-times will definitely reduce once the factory and shipping get sorted (barring no further Covid complications).

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
193 Posts
Why in the world are we having to hound dealers to give us updates on a car we are trying to buy? You'd think they would be more forthcoming with any details/information that would help keep us committed to buying the car. If the wait keeps dragging on perpetually, or there continue to be unexpected delays. I could see people getting tempted by other brands that have a better customer experience. If Ford wants this to be successful as they are claiming, they really need to be bringing their A game with the communication. The car could be great, but it will mean nothing if no one can actually get one, test drive it, or buy it and own it. Or if people are turned off by poor communication and seek alternatives. Contrary to what Ford might be thinking, this car doesn't necessary sell itself, because it is a first year model with a company that has little to no experience in EV vehicles. The ball is in THEIR court to encourage potential customers to remain committed to the purchase, and the lack of communication really isn't instilling a ton of confidence.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Here are the details for our MME order (same trip/options as yours) :
  • Premium Extended Range AWD
  • Infinite Blue Metallic Tinted Clearcoat, Light Space Gray Perforated ActiveX Seating Material
  • Reservation ID # 10068026
  • Reservation Date: 29 April 2020
  • Order Date: 01 July 2020
  • Scheduled Production Date:
    • week of 17 January 2021
    • updated to 10 January 2021
    • as of 18 January 2021 not in production, website still says 10 January
So no one is really sure if the delivery hold is having an impact on the production. I can't see Ford sustaining manual inspections beyond the several hundred MMEs as that would be an expensive option both in terms of inspection costs or customers cancelling their orders and walking.

I'll say again... A great good will gesture that Ford has at their disposal is a free upgrade to the Co-Pilot 360 Active Driver Assist L2 hands free SW. They should reward the people who believed in Ford enough to commit to their first ground up BEV and waited patiently. I think March is past the point where COV is an excuse.

Although Ford loses potential revenue with the free upgrade, it costs them nothing and if it keeps reservation holders from bailing, I think it's worth it. Having worked at a large tech company for all of my adult life, I know that this sort of remediation is something that's done all the time. Can Ford break out of their old-tired tin-knocker business model?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Why in the world are we having to hound dealers to give us updates on a car we are trying to buy? You'd think they would be more forthcoming with any details/information that would help keep us committed to buying the car. If the wait keeps dragging on perpetually, or there continue to be unexpected delays. I could see people getting tempted by other brands that have a better customer experience. If Ford wants this to be successful as they are claiming, they really need to be bringing their A game with the communication. The car could be great, but it will mean nothing if no one can actually get one, test drive it, or buy it and own it. Or if people are turned off by poor communication and seek alternatives. Contrary to what Ford might be thinking, this car doesn't necessary sell itself, because it is a first year model with a company that has little to no experience in EV vehicles. The ball is in THEIR court to encourage potential customers to remain committed to the purchase, and the lack of communication really isn't instilling a ton of confidence.
I couldn't agree more. My dealership will NOT return my phone calls...period. I got so frustrated that I sent them a letter in the mail asking them to call, text, or write to me...I just wanted to confirm that my order was actually placed. I understand that the dealership markup is less on this vehicle, but why Ford allows their dealerships to treat their customers like this is beyond me. (Dealership is Angela Krause Ford / just outside Atlanta.)

Despite this, I am stoked to get my car, but am getting tired of guessing when, based on second hand info...come on Ford...replace your communications people and get with the times. People are no longer used to being ignored...customer service is everything! If there's an issue that's causing a delay, be open and transparent about it. The story will come out eventually...why not control the narrative?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I couldn't agree more. My dealership will NOT return my phone calls...period. I got so frustrated that I sent them a letter in the mail asking them to call, text, or write to me...I just wanted to confirm that my order was actually placed. I understand that the dealership markup is less on this vehicle, but why Ford allows their dealerships to treat their customers like this is beyond me. (Dealership is Angela Krause Ford / just outside Atlanta.)

Despite this, I am stoked to get my car, but am getting tired of guessing when, based on second hand info...come on Ford...replace your communications people and get with the times. People are no longer used to being ignored...customer service is everything! If there's an issue that's causing a delay, be open and transparent about it. The story will come out eventually...why not control the narrative?
If Hyundai's Ioniq 5 reveal hits it out of the park, we may reconsider our MME order. Particularly if the delays are into late Spring/early Summer.

The Ioniq 5 will be the only 800V DC Fast charging vehicle aside from the Porsche Taycan to my knowledge, and it's bi-directional which the Taycan isn't. Not suggesting that anyone would cross-shop these 2 vehicles just that Ioniq 5 charging is better featured than a car costing 3x more.

The E-GMP platform is detailed in a video (turn subtitles on). Marketing material for sure but I am impressed with the technical details.

·
Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
1,775 Posts

Simple: The dealers are not making their usual markup and the number of actual number of MME they will receive is very, very small.

The Tesla model only works if employees are on fixed salary and their is no inventory and little to no overhead.

With a dealer, salesmen are on commission so their is little incentive to follow up on the MME which is sold with a fixed price and fixed profit.

With dealers getting only a handful of MME and maybe even less, the effort is just not worth it. The dealer may sell 10 Escapes for every MME. The dealer's efforts are going to go where the volume and profits are. That is not the MME.

So until the MME is actually being delivered, I for one, expect minimal contact and information from my dealer.

This is not rocket science.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
Currently: 2021 Grabber Blue First Edition Mach E AWD ER ; Previously: 2009 Ford Focus.
193 Posts
Simple: The dealers are not making their usual markup and the number of actual number of MME they will receive is very, very small.

The Tesla model only works if employees are on fixed salary and their is no inventory and little to no overhead.

With a dealer, salesmen are on commission so their is little incentive to follow up on the MME which is sold with a fixed price and fixed profit.

With dealers getting only a handful of MME and maybe even less, the effort is just not worth it. The dealer may sell 10 Escapes for every MME. The dealer's efforts are going to go where the volume and profits are. That is not the MME.

So until the MME is actually being delivered, I for one, expect minimal contact and information from my dealer.

This is not rocket science.

Just my $.02.
It will be a chicken and egg problem for Ford then. Because if they don't improve communication they are likely going to continue hemmoraging Mach E orders. But if they lose Mach E orders, it will never have enough volume for them to give it attention. They need to start skating to where the puck will be, not where it has already been.

If this is the attitude of the company towards a potential customer, how the hell should any of us be expecting them to treat us once we paid money for it and have inevitable issues? Once they've collected their 50k pounds of flesh from each of us. Usually during the sale is when a company tries to make it's best impression. If this is the best impression they can make, it really concerns me about what we see when we are that PITA customer wanting them to fix issues, or demanding software updates for glitches or bugs. Again, this is very contrary to the supposed need for this to be successful. This isn't the behavior of a company that appears like it wants success at all.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It will be a chicken and egg problem for Ford then. Because if they don't improve communication they are likely going to continue hemmoraging Mach E orders. But if they lose Mach E orders, it will never have enough volume for them to give it attention. They need to start skating to where the puck will be, not where it has already been.

If this is the attitude of the company towards a potential customer, how the hell should any of us be expecting them to treat us once we paid money for it and have inevitable issues? Once they've collected their 50k pounds of flesh from each of us. Usually during the sale is when a company tries to make it's best impression. If this is the best impression they can make, it really concerns me about what we see when we are that PITA customer wanting them to fix issues, or demanding software updates for glitches or bugs. Again, this is very contrary to the supposed need for this to be successful. This isn't the behavior of a company that appears like it wants success at all.
There are about 20,000 MME slated for the US in 2020/2021. There are about 3,000 Ford dealers in the US. The average dealer in the US sells about 1,000 cars a year which includes high end dealerships. So figure the average Ford dealer sells 1500 cars a year.

If you were a Ford dealer selling 1,500 vehicles a year, how excited would you be about selling 5 to 10 MME at a fixed profit?

This is capitalism.

Follow the money.

I too am concerned about parts for such a limited run of cars.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
There are about 20,000 MME slated for the US in 2020/2021. There are about 3,000 Ford dealers in the US. The average dealer in the US sells about 1,000 cars a year which includes high end dealerships. So figure the average Ford dealer sells 1500 cars a year.

If you were a Ford dealer selling 1,500 vehicles a year, how excited would you be about selling 5 to 10 MME at a fixed profit?

This is capitalism.

Follow the money.

I too am concerned about parts for such a limited run of cars.
Dealers aren't stupid and self-preservation is a keen interest of theirs. They see the scheduled maintenance for a comparably sized Escape vs the MME and know they're making nothing aside from tire rotation and maybe the cabin air filter, BEVs routinely go 100K miles before a brake job, and tires are a cutthroat low margin business.

So they make nothing from the sale, and they're going to make nothing from service.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're a good dealer, you'll do your job and take care of your customers. It does make things messy for people who don't have a lot of choice or picked the wrong dealer. I'm ordering through a dealership group that I've used for my last six or so cars and they seem to understand that there's more to a customer than what you're pocketing today.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
If you're a good dealer, you'll do your job and take care of your customers. It does make things messy for people who don't have a lot of choice or picked the wrong dealer. I'm ordering through a dealership group that I've used for my last six or so cars and they seem to understand that there's more to a customer than what you're pocketing today.
The exception that proves the rule!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Dealers aren't stupid and self-preservation is a keen interest of theirs. They see the scheduled maintenance for a comparably sized Escape vs the MME and know they're making nothing aside from tire rotation and maybe the cabin air filter, BEVs routinely go 100K miles before a brake job, and tires are a cutthroat low margin business.

So they make nothing from the sale, and they're going to make nothing from service.
That is why the Tesla model, with salaried employees, no inventory and very little overhead works - but not the dealership model.

Selling cars is a cut throat business especially since the days of the Internet and more so with Covid. Profits are usually holdbacks and or course service: SERVICE - SERVICE - SERVICE is where the dealer makes his money.

You are 100% correct: With little to no service on an EV, where is the incentive for the dealer?

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is why the Tesla model, with salaried employees, no inventory and very little overhead works - but not the dealership model.
Lack of good communications and service probably the single biggest reason for those moving from Tesla to Ford.

This is a frequent topic.

"Tesla Service Center - Significant Problems for Tesla"

·
Registered
365 Posts
ou are 100% correct: With little to no service on an EV, where is the incentive for the dealer?
It is a 20-30 day wait for service as all those "never need service" Teslas fill up the service centers and add hundreds of millions to Tesla's bottom line as cars come out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It is a 20-30 day wait for service as all those "never need service" Teslas fill up the service centers and add hundreds of millions to Tesla's bottom line as cars come out of warranty.
Does not affect me as I only lease.

I want my auto cost fixed and leasing does just that: no surprises!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does not affect me as I only lease.
The comment was in response to statement about EV's providing no incentive to dealers due to "no service biz".

Looking at the full Tesla service centers and quickly rising Tesla revenues and profits from service business as Tesla's come off warranty and the 20-30 day average wait for service gives us some insight into that question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most dealers suck. They can’t help it. It is their nature.

·
Super Moderator
2,705 Posts
One email to my dealership, and I get an answer. I have never had a problem.

The assigning of the VIN is not a milestone in the process as far as the dealership is concerned. When the order is placed, the dealer usually tells you 8-10 weeks. After that, from experience, the next time you hear from the dealer is when the car is built and shipped.

Being this is a launch vehicle, I do agree with communication from Ford. Last year, it could have been better. However, in recent months they have communicated scheduled dates, and about the delay. I hope they will continue to keep us informed.

The stated reason for the delay is a ‘final quality inspection’. That may be all this is, and all there is to tell. The quality managers on the line may have noticed something not tightened or aligned properly, and they want to make sure the cars built prior are within spec.

But this is conjecture, just like assuming a defect exists is just conjecture.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts