Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Isn't Ford withholding capability in the Mach-E battery, not trusting you to use closer to max capacity with discretion? 馃構
I would imagine all BEV makers withhold battery capacity, much the same way ICE cars use components with some stress overhead.

Registered
Model Y battery 75 kwh, useable 72.5 kwh, recommend charging to 90% or less unless 100% (72,5 kwh) needed for road trips.

Registered
Isn't Ford withholding capability in the Mach-E battery, not trusting you to use closer to max capacity with discretion? 馃構
Yes, batteries do not like to live at the extremes of their range. Since Ford is providing a warranty on the battery they are within their rights to protect the battery by locking out part of the capacity. If, after experience they decide they can unlock part of the reserve without hurting battery life, that is not extortion.

Super Moderator
They are up front about it, telling you exactly why they are doing it and how much is in reserve. When they have more data, they may reduce the buffer.

its not 鈥淢y motor can do 0-60 in 5.5, oh look! Pay me more after you purchased the car and you can use the same motor to do 5.0, oh wait pay me a third time and you can do it in 4.5....鈥

it is a blatant money-grab by Tesla. But if you are happy in paying again for what you already purchased, its your money wasted.

Registered
Reserved First Edition Rapid Red Metallic
No:

You are conflating two different things:

The battery on LR is 98 KW of which 88 KW are useable. That is the buffer. Tesla, as all BEV have a buffer on both ends.

What Tesla has done is change the algorithms so that more of the battery's energy can be used at a given time. The energy in the battery is the same. It is still the same battery.

Changing the algorithm does not cost Tesla a dime - yet they are charging $2,000.

That is what is upsetting to MachDrive and many others, myself included.

Registered
They used to sell a "stealth" performance option on the Model where you could buy the extra power up front without the other changes offered with the performance model. You can also buy the Full Self Driving option for $8,000, or the Enhanced Autopilot for $4,000 (this month), both are just over the air software upgrades, the hardware is already in the car. All of this is upfront and no one is misled as to what they are buying. As a prospective Mach-E buyer, why do you care. Since the Mach-E will have software upgrades over the air, are you worried that Ford might do the same.

BTW, a disclaimer, I sold my Audi Q5 (kept the Q3) because, with Covid-19, we aren't driving anywhere near enough to need 2 cars. I will buy an EV crossover next fall. I will give serious consideration the Tesla Model Y, the Mustang Mach-E and the upcoming Audi Q4, long range AWD on all. Tesla has the edge on performance, range and tech, but the other 2 look really attractive. Ford and Audi have the $7,500 Federal Credit, but the Tesla will qualify for the NJ $5,000 rebate, no sales tax on any of them. If Ford or Audi, equipped as well as the Tesla can make it under $55,000 next fall, it will be a tough choice. I joined this forum because the very attractive Mach-E is a serious contender and I want to know all about it.

Super Moderator
You can also buy the Full Self Driving option for $8,000, or the Enhanced Autopilot for $4,000 (this month), both are just over the air software upgrades, the hardware is already in the car.
Just as I wouldn鈥檛 mind a reasonable purchase cost for a Sentry-mode equivalent, I Personally don鈥檛 have an issue with the two levels of ADAS offered as options. You are buying optional software functionality which you don鈥檛 actually need to drive the car. Unlike the battery and motor capacity, which is integral to the vehicle.

I don鈥檛 know if Tesla still prevents this, but I feel purchased ADAS software should be transferrable to a new Tesla if the owner buys one, or they should be able to sell it as part of the car to a new owner. JMO

Reactions: JTK44
41 - 52 of 52 Posts