Mach-E Forum | Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum and News banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure the electric motor would be producing some noise, even if feeble. Like what we heard in the Mache 1400 video. Maybe some sparking sounds as well. Would be cool to listen to them from inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As has been pointed out the external noise (whatever that might actually be called or sound like) is mandated by law so the visually impaired, bicyclists, those just not paying attention, etc., can hear you coming. In the EU it seems to have to be a 56 dba noise anytime the car is going 20 kph (12.4 mph) or slower. That's a normal conversation level inside a house or your household refrigerator noise btw. I believe originally this was listed as a noise similar to, but not louder than, a traditional ICE noise at low speed.

The USA requires the noise to be generated up to 30 Kph (18.6 mph). The US rule left open the possibility for user selection of preloaded sounds. The sound level in decibels is also not a fixed requirement, that is, it varies based upon speed and whether you're in "Park" or not (Or parking brake off in a manual transmission). Yes, our MME's will have to make noise while "idling" at stop signs (unless you're in park). I suggest a "passing gas" mode for that situation. ;)

Another thing to consider regarding fake engine noise, beyond the external compliance noise that's been alluded to here, is just how much we depend upon aural feedback when driving. We often base our acceleration upon engine sounds. Take those away, or reduce them, and we don't do quite as well at controlling the acceleration -- either using too much or too little. There's a bit of a learning curve where we have to unlearn years of habit. This has become a problem with ICE cars as well. As engine size was reduced and power increased to meet CAFE requirements, drivers weren't responding as favorably to the changes even when they resulted in virtually identical acceleration performance. More than one vehicle manufacturer has added in artificial engine noise to supplement the actual engine noise -- including Ford with its Raptor.

·
Registered
Spark EV 2016
28 Posts
My generic ringtone on my pixel is the whistling sound from the original star trek when someone called on the intership, and for my wife I had the red alert klaxon but that got too annoying. I would definitely prefer to hear the enterprise going to warp or millenium falcon going to lightspeed over a fake "vroom-vroom" sound.

As an overweight, middle aged, star trek loving software engineer I can't keep the ladies off of me. At least that's how I see it.
I have the same problem, that's why my color is rapid red metallic. As for Star Trek customization, I'd like to see the Start button replaced with Engage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My generic ringtone on my pixel is the whistling sound from the original star trek when someone called on the intership, and for my wife I had the red alert klaxon but that got too annoying. I would definitely prefer to hear the enterprise going to warp or millenium falcon going to lightspeed over a fake "vroom-vroom" sound.

As an overweight, middle aged, star trek loving software engineer I can't keep the ladies off of me. At least that's how I see it.
I had Star Trek's Red Alert ringtone for FedEx Crew Scheduling when they called me so I'd not answer. It was never a good thing when they called. ;)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
I was watching a video that suggested the interior speakers will make a motor like sound as the Mach E accelerates. I’m not interested in any pretend motor sounds in fact I like the idea of a quiet car. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, if it can be turned off?
I think that "fake engine sounds" will be seen, in twenty years, as absolutely hilarious. They will be laughed at by drivers who don't understand why anyone would want to hear extra noise.

It will be like the graphic on the Bolt dash that shows "juice" going from the battery to the wheels and vice versa. Marginally cool now, but really ridiculous to people who consider ICE as basically pre-historic.

I could be wrong...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think that "fake engine sounds" will be seen, in twenty years, as absolutely hilarious. They will be laughed at by drivers who don't understand why anyone would want to hear extra noise.

It will be like the graphic on the Bolt dash that shows "juice" going from the battery to the wheels and vice versa. Marginally cool now, but really ridiculous to people who consider ICE as basically pre-historic.

I could be wrong...
Fake noise (external) is a requirement for safety at low speeds. Fake noise (interior) also serves to provide a degree of safety for the transition period between ICE and BEVs since the folks coming from ICE cars need time to calibrate between cabin noise and speed as they tend to drive at higher speeds in BEVs because they are so quiet. Also just tire and wind noise which can be higher pitch can be annoying so drowning it out with "more pleasing" sounds are not a bad thing. But yes... it is sort of silly.

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Its not new to Ford. My 2018 Fusion Hybrid Titanium has both ANC and acoustic-laminate front side windows. Most of Fords EVs and Hybrids have it.

I saw it listed on one of the many MMe documents passing through this forum. I would have to re-read them all. If i come across it again, i will let you know.

·
Registered
258 Posts
OK yeah if you find it let me know. I realize it isn't new to Fords as I first experienced it in the C-Max several years ago. I found the ANC a bit off-putting. It cancelled noise but maybe not all of it, or it maybe introduced too much noise. I'm not sure.

And of course there are good and bad implementations out there. The ICE Mustangs have been using ANC for several years now, and there are plenty of discussions and videos online about how to disable it.

Anyway, it's something I've been curious about so I've been looking to see whether or not MME is also using ANC.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts